Sllloooooowwww Build of 78 Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

crab0000

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2019
North Georgia
For the A pillar trim, you need to first remove the weather stripping from the black channel it’s glued into. Be forewarned tho, it’s a bear to get out, and you probably won’t be able to do it without destroying the weather stripping. Many aftermarket vendors offer replacements tho.

Once you have the weather stripping removed, you’ll see the screws that hold the channel onto the A pillar and roof. (It’s all one piece). Remove those and the channel and you’ll see the second set of screws underneath that hold the chrome trim on.
Thanks so much! My weatherstrip is hard as a rock and dry rotted, so no need to try to save it. Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 users

crab0000

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2019
North Georgia
I got the heater box out today. It wasn't too bad since I didn't completely install the dash when I swapped it out. :) Man it looks rough under there!

Now I need to refurb the box and get the firewall cleaned up.

Reactions: 1 users

crab0000

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2019
North Georgia
So, I got most of the firewall clear of everything. Now time to strip all the paint and crap off of it.

I have a lot of the interior out.

And worked up the nerve to take the back seat out.

That's all for now!

Reactions: 2 users

crab0000

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2019
North Georgia
So, I got a little more done. My dad came down this weekend and helped me pull the windshield (it cracked, but I really expected it to). There's some surface rust and one small place where it rusted through.

I also got the carpet out and again there is some surface rust, but I didn't see anything all the way through.

My new favorite tool for removing all this adhesive! When it gets dull I just resharpen and keep going.

I'm going this weekend to get a couple of bags of sand to start sandblasting. Afterward I'll use Por-15 metal prep and Por-15 to try to seal the rust.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor