Slow start

MadDrOlds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2023
1985 442. New rebuilt carb. Starts every single time and idles fine. However…it is a slow grind grind grind start, which is more nerve wracking than it should be. Would electronic ignition fix this, or is it a different problem?

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
Sounds more like your not getting enough power to starter or starter needs rebuild

MadDrOlds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2023
Sounds more like your not getting enough power to starter or starter needs rebuild
Ok, but when it is warm the engine kicks off immediately. Like right now.

If it was the starter, wouldn’t that be a problem every time the key was turned, and not a cold start?

MadDrOlds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2023
Ok, but when it is warm the engine kicks off immediately. Like right now.

If it was the starter, wouldn’t that be a problem every time the key was turned, and not a cold start?
In retrospect I should have been more clear on this point: if you leave it for four hours it is grind grind grind every time. If it has been running and you shut it off for 5 minutes and hit the key it fires right off. Battery was checked and pronounced good

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
what do you mean by grind grind grind .doe;s it turnover slow or fast? or take a long time to start?

Reactions: 1 user

MadDrOlds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2023
what do you mean by grind grind grind .doe;s it turnover slow or fast? or take a long time to start?
I take your question to ask whether it slows down like a weak battery in winter. No. Seems strong electrical, but just won’t fire off

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
To clarify for everyone trying to help you here. The starter is spinning the engine fast, hold or cold.

That would narrow it down to ignition or fuel.

MadDrOlds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2023
To clarify for everyone trying to help you here. The starter is spinning the engine fast, hold or cold.

That would narrow it down to ignition or fuel.
I would say yes, the starter seems to be spinning as it should--none of the real slow whuh whuh whuh you experience with a car at -15. When I have some time maybe I'll see if I can post a video.

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
sounds like fuel problem next time starting it when it;s cold give it a shot of eather in the carb before you crank it ..if it fires right up it;s a fuel problem

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
cheak the choke it should be closed and look down the carb and see if it;s getting a squirt of fuel when you work the throttle for the first time do this when it;s not running

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor