Small block Chevy engine GUNK cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
I bought a good used complete running small block Chevy 400 engine and when I remove the valve cover there is a lot of gunk in the head what's the best way to clean this engine I have heard automatic transmission fluid or kerosene anyone know how this process is done and what's the best thing to use to clean the engine? THANKS

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
All that crud has settled and isn't really hurting anything. If you loosen it up it'll be floating around in the engine. The big stuff will clog the pickup screen. The little stuff that makes it through the screen will plug your filter. Then the rest will go past the bypass and through your bearings.
Obviously the best way to clean your engine is total disassembly and hot tanking. But at that point, why not rebuild it? It obviously didn't get the treatment it deserved up until now.
So, without a bunch of extra time, money and hassle, my recommendation is do not disturb.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
So what about changing out the heads,oil pump and timing chain I have these parts hanging around the heads are used 882 castingsI removedfrom another running sbc 400 engine

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
So what about changing out the heads,oil pump and timing chain I have these parts hanging around the heads are used 882 castingsI removedfrom another running sbc 400 engine
Sounds fine to me. Your first post said "good used complete running" so I made the assumption you didn't intend to break it down. No problem with your plan at all. Probably needs a new timing chain anyway. New oil pump is a good idea too. Carrfy on.

Reactions: 1 user

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Like driven was saying dont start scraping it all off as it will just gum up the pickup and oil filter. It took a long time to build up.
Some high detergent oil ( like trans fluid ) run in the engine for a day then change the oil. It will help it to break down the grime over the next DECADE or so. Anything too aggressive will again block the pickup in the oil pan and plug the oil filter. Good oil, good filter, regular changes

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor