Small block Chevy engine Prime questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
I have a small block Chevy 350 engine that I just installed a oil pump in the engine is on the stand I put in new cam lifters everything else I have the intake off with everything button-up can I prime this Engine by the oil pump using a oil pimp primer tool with the intake off,with oil in the engine?

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
If it's a flat tappet make sure you have a high zinc oil - If it's a performance cam make sure the center valve spring is out during break-in.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
That depends on how much have spring pressure you are running, whether or not you need to remove the inner spring. If its just a damper inside you should be fine. Use a good priming tool, like one from arp. Cheap ones the groove doesnt line up and it won't let oil through to the passenger (driver?) side. The arp tool is $47, but it has great reviews.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I would lay the intake manifold in place to prime it. That way something supports the priming tool. Otherwise you run the risk of pressing the driveshaft into the pump. And being a hydraulic roller, spring pressure has no bearing on cam break in. The cam does not need a break in like a flat tappet cam. Just oil it and start it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Roller cams don't need to be broke in. Just start it and let it idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor