Small engine head scratcher

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
OK, I have been fooling with small engines my entire life. Lawn mowers, outboards, snow blowers, mini-bikes, weed-wackers, 2 cycle and 4 cycle. This has me stumped. My daughter has two mowers at her place, a self-propelled Troy-Built, and a walk behind Sears. Neither would start. Sometimes the Sears would start, run a couple of minutes, then die for the rest of the day. I started on the Sears because it actually showed life was easier to get at stuff. I cleaned the jet. Nothing. I re-built the whole carb. Nothing. The primer pumped fuel just fine. I tested for spark and it was solid every time. Changed spark plug. Nothing. WTF? So I have an old power washer I saved by replacing the carb with a spare mower carb I had. The Sears and the PW had Tecumseh engines and identical carbs. In fact the carb I used was from the same model Sears mower so a logical test piece. I put the PW carb on the mower. Nothing. I put the mower carb on the PW. Bango! She started and ran great. So both carbs ran great on the PW but the mower stayed dead. Now I am getting pissed. I am looking at everything now and that was when I realized it was making a squeeking sound when I pulled on the rope. Just for the hell of it I check the oil. OMG! Empty! I A-ss-u-med there was oil- there was not. But OK- that would not keep it from starting. It would cause it to break, but it should run. Well I filled it with oil and tried it. The $#!^%&* thing came to life! WHY!?! I never heard of a low-oil-moron-proof-cut-off feature. I cut my whole lawn and it never faltered like nothing was ever wrong. Then I went to the Troy-Built and checked the oil. EMPTY!!! I filled it with oil and it started right up! WTF?!? The PW that worked was low too but not dry like these mowers. So OK mechanical type guys- why is this? Since when does no oil cause a no start condition?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Fresh. First thing I checked.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
my honda trash pump has the low oil shut off.i think it's a good idea.

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
In my parts searches I have never seen a low-oil cut-off feature. Both mowers are 90's vintage.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Friction???

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
Does it start with the use of starting fluid? Compression check would be helpful if the mower ran for too long on low/no oil.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
What I know about small engines wouldn't get a beggar a quarter but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. There is a key on the blade shaft coming out of the bottom of the mower engine. If the mower hits something with the blade and stops suddenly, it will sometimes jerk the shaft out of correct alignment. This somehow changes the timing (or some such) and the mower will not start until some magic incantation is performed or a goat is sacrificed to the gods. The ONLY other option is to Google the part about the shaft and see what the Online Oracle says.

I am serious about the shaft thing, my best friend fixed my push mower twice after I ran over a brick, conveniently buried only halfway, in the back yard. Same brick both times, I am ashamed to say.
If Google doesn't help, let me know and I'll stay at the hotel another night and see if I can't get you a more complete answer next time.

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
You make a good point. The top of the engine has a flywheel that the coil uses to create the spark. If the key in the flywheel is sheared, it could be miss timed and need to be reset with a new key.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor