smog pump question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
my car has been a part for about a year now, i was looking through stuff on thinking how it all went back together, i grabbed the smog pump and tried to turn it by hand, i could not turn it by hand at all, is this normal, maybe im not strong enough? :lol: or is it locked up and i gotta fork over some more money into it again?

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
It's probably locked up They get moisture in them, and then if you let them set, they'll lock up. You can try to free it up, but most likely you'll need to get another. IIRC, they don't cost much.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
azmalibuwagon said:
It's probably locked up They get moisture in them, and then if you let them set, they'll lock up. You can try to free it up, but most likely you'll need to get another. IIRC, they don't cost much.
i looked at prices they are not that bad, just dont want to spend anymore money :lol: whats a suggestion on trying to free it up?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Just leave it off. It's not needed unless you have a visual inspection.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
ERIC87442 said:
Going for a stock build i dont want to botch things on it either.

How can you botch NOT putting something on? :wink: Engine is WAY easier to work on without the AIR junk and it looks alot better too...and this is coming from a 'stock' kind of a guy who doesn't indiscriminately 'rip off all the emmissions junk' like many others do.

Plus i heard it can run funky without it too

No, this is not true I assure you. Not true in the least. If anything it'll run better....less stuff to go wrong.

Do what you feel you must, but don't do it for the wrong reasons. Removing the AIR junk on my otherwise stock 85 442 was the best thing I ever did.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
unless it's a numbers matching car/engine, just lose the pump--they're worthless. all the AIR pump does is push fresh air through the exhaust to dilute the emissions measurement. lose the pump and plug the exhaust ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor