Smog pump removal advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fnlowrider

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2020
Myrtle beach
I have a 1987 Caballero 305 and the smog pump has been removed and a dual exhaust has been added without cats I have an electronic distributor and am still using the Factory Rochester carburetor I would like any input regarding components which may or may not still B needed or should be modified such as knock valve EGR or even ECM any input would be appreciated thank you

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
You got headers on it with the dual exhaust
Old school it with mechanical dizzy and carb

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Fnlowrider

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2020
Myrtle beach
No I don't have headers I'm considering a few upgrades and changes headers being one of them but I want to do things in the right order a posi rear end is definitely in the future

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Before you go spending money on a Posi rear. Get a good mechanical distributor with vacuum advance and a non-computerized carburetor get the thing running right then go after the converter transmission and rear

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Just put a heated O2 sensor on the headers, the computer will operate fine after that. There are many ways to add O2 sensor bungs onto headers. Removing the computer system will cost $500, decrease MPGs, and no power gain to even power loss. There are much better ways to epend that money. A guy on MonteCarloSS forums sells ZZ4 performance chips for Chevy ECMs for $65. The CCC system can handle over 400 hp, its not gonna hold you back for a street car.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Years ago I had a 86 El Camino I swapped a iron headed 355 into with long tube headers twin cats and true dual exhaust. I ran the computer control Q-jet and distributor but used a factory 86 Monte Carlo SS PROM chip in the ECM just due to it having a little different timing curve. Put over 150,000 miles on that engine and never had an issue. The air pump and lines were deleted during the engine swap. I just taped up the connections, bundled up the wires and tucked them into the inner fender.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor