Smog Pump Removal ??? Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

maufderheide

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 9, 2009
I've got an 83 Grand Prix that I am currently putting headers on. I want to remove the smog pump completely and the O2 sensor won't be going back in. What affect is this going to have on the engine? I haven't taken the pump and it's close friends because there are wires going there (most everything else is off and capped but I haven't tried to start the motor yet). Can I gut the rest of it without any adverse effects? If I can't just yank the smog pump off what else do I have to do? Thanks for the help!

IhaveNoPantsOn

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2009
Holyoke, MA
With my 87 GP, with a 305, I just yanked it all out, threw in some headers, and left the wires from the computer hanging there. So far, so good. My check engine light has no bulb in it, so I don't know if I'm throwing codes or not, but it runs great.

maufderheide

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 9, 2009
Thanks

Excellent! Thanks for the reply. Green This! But for goodness sake put on some pants ;-)

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
When I put headers on my 307(R.I.P.) in my 442, I simply left the O2 sensor out. The air pump was already gone when I bought the car.
I could drive around on city streets all day and it would be fine.
When I got on the highway, after about 500 feet, the check engine light would come on.

Still ran fine, and the light would be off next time you started the car.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
My car has headers and everything else hooked up and the check engine light would cycle on and off but since i have to get emissions i need to leave all the components on. But after the 350 swap with a normal carb and distributor the light is always on. The car still needs to pass the emissions test so i am hoping it runs cleanly enough.... :roll: I still left all the equipment so its present and "appears" functional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor