1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

smokes worse after engine is warm

Discussion in 'Engine / Swaps etc.' started by KILLSHOTB, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KILLSHOTB

KILLSHOTB Not-quite-so-new-guy

I have an 84 Monte SS with a 1970s 350 and a 350 tranny. After not driving it for a week, I noticed that the tranny fluid and oil was low. I added a half quart of engine oil and a half quart of tranny fluid to top off the levels. Gas was near empty as well so I filled it up and drove a few miles. I noticed that smoke began pouring out of both pipes (true duals). I also noticed it idled a little rough at stop lights. I figured it needed to be ran at high speed for a few to clean out the carb so I took it on the highway. Not ragging on it I took it up to 70 real slow and turned around at the next exit. The smoke began pouring out then. As I drove back home hoping I wouldn't break down, the smoke increased as I pressed the gas and decreased as I let up. The engine wasn't running horibble but not the best. Oil looked clean but exhaust was dripping brown water and smelled like antifreeze I think. I'm scared! Can someone please give me some hope of not having to rebuild my engine.
    Thanks

2. Evan11

Evan11 Royal Smart Person

Sounds like a bad head gasket, get it changed quick. Also, if the oil smells like antifreeze drain that out ASAP too.

3. CHRIS.O

CHRIS.O Royal Smart Person

Evan is probably right. I will add that lots of smoke and a sweet antifreeze smell usually dictate a bad head gasket. Throw in rough running engine and you kinda hit all the symptoms. Check your coolant level. If you have access to a cylinder compression gauge hook it up and check compression on all cylinders. Probably not needed but for sure lets you know something is wrong.

4. lvngded

lvngded Apprentice

I third the motion for head gasket. So you understand, the color of the smoke is the biggest tip off.

Black / dark grey smoke - fuel mix is rich - carb adjustment or cleaning fixes this.
    Blue(ish) smoke - oil burning in the combustion chambers - valve seals / guides, rings etc..
    White smoke - coolent burning in combustion chamber. - head gasket.
    keep in mind however, a little white smoke coming from the tail pipe, when you first start your car is normally just some condensation sitting in the engine. The ooze from the tail pipe is a dead giveaway for the gasket.

When you change out the gasket, check the heads and the block for any damage. The last one I blew cost me a head becuase I pulled over and added some water to try and limp home. About 2 1/2 miles later it overheated and I did it again, made it home, and sure enough the head was cracked. I didn't catch if you mentioned if you over heated the engine, so you may be okay.

Good luck and I keep us posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.