smokes worse after engine is warm

Status
Not open for further replies.

KILLSHOTB

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 24, 2008
Saginaw, Michigan
I have an 84 Monte SS with a 1970s 350 and a 350 transmission. After not driving it for a week, I noticed that the transmission fluid and oil was low. I added a half quart of engine oil and a half quart of transmission fluid to top off the levels. Gas was near empty as well so I filled it up and drove a few miles. I noticed that smoke began pouring out of both pipes (true duals). I also noticed it idled a little rough at stop lights. I figured it needed to be ran at high speed for a few to clean out the carb so I took it on the highway. Not ragging on it I took it up to 70 real slow and turned around at the next exit. The smoke began pouring out then. As I drove back home hoping I wouldn't break down, the smoke increased as I pressed the gas and decreased as I let up. The engine wasn't running horibble but not the best. Oil looked clean but exhaust was dripping brown water and smelled like antifreeze I think. I'm scared! Can someone please give me some hope of not having to rebuild my engine.
Thanks

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Sounds like a bad head gasket, get it changed quick. Also, if the oil smells like antifreeze drain that out ASAP too.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Evan is probably right. I will add that lots of smoke and a sweet antifreeze smell usually dictate a bad head gasket. Throw in rough running engine and you kinda hit all the symptoms. Check your coolant level. If you have access to a cylinder compression gauge hook it up and check compression on all cylinders. Probably not needed but for sure lets you know something is wrong.

lvngded

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2009
Chicago
I third the motion for head gasket. So you understand, the color of the smoke is the biggest tip off.

Black / dark grey smoke - fuel mix is rich - carb adjustment or cleaning fixes this.
Blue(ish) smoke - oil burning in the combustion chambers - valve seals / guides, rings etc..
White smoke - coolent burning in combustion chamber. - head gasket.
keep in mind however, a little white smoke coming from the tail pipe, when you first start your car is normally just some condensation sitting in the engine. The ooze from the tail pipe is a dead giveaway for the gasket.

When you change out the gasket, check the heads and the block for any damage. The last one I blew cost me a head becuase I pulled over and added some water to try and limp home. About 2 1/2 miles later it overheated and I did it again, made it home, and sure enough the head was cracked. I didn't catch if you mentioned if you over heated the engine, so you may be okay.

Good luck and I keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor