Smoking Blower Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
Hey folks,

I’m at a loss when i turn on the heat , smoke starts coming out of the blower and it smells (side port by the purple wire)
No air through the vents.

I've changed the following:

-blower motor (2 diff ones same result)
-blower fuse
-blower motor switch
- relay
-resistor
-resistor connector (old wires exposed)
did i maybe crimp the connectors wrong on the relay?

AC hasn't worked since i got the car, haven't tried to recharge the freon.

Attachments

• 120D69F1-0FDD-4F71-9C8D-FADCAC4D9DC3.jpeg
    120D69F1-0FDD-4F71-9C8D-FADCAC4D9DC3.jpeg
    775 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
How is the red power feed wire? I just believe the fact our cars (& many other GM's) don't have a direct protection set up in place for the red power feed to the blower relay which may be the reason for the smoking motor. Start from there & work your way in to the harness from the red power feed
20210904_154106.jpg
for any other exposed spots & the relay itself. A idea I'm going to use for the power circuit will be putting a 30 amp fuse between the relay & the harness splice cause I've seen too many burnt harness conectors & relays in our cars. Here's a pic of the fuse holder & where I'm thinking of putting it.

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Pull the resistor block for the blower and see if there is tree debris around it.

• Agree

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
And look inside the evaporator to see if full of tree debris

• Agree

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
mystery solved, the last thing i would've thought of.

Turns out the original blower wheel was too tall to fit in aftermarket blower motors.

I’m guessing when i screw it in and turned it on the wheel not being able to spin just cause the smoking.

Went to the parts store and compared it to a motor that comes with a wheel , and was able to see how mines was not fully flushed to the motor.

After replacing the motor with the shorter wheel everything is working again. No smoke, i feel the air through the vents.

Wow lesson learned lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor