So just exactly what does the OBD I ECM do for a living?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
In another thread posted a few weeks back, there was a discussion concerning whether to decommission and remove an OBD I first generation computer? subsystem, based on a question and posting from a member.
While digging through one of my file binders for the paperwork on a pair of Magnaflow mufflers that I had plans to rehab and return back to service in my Monte, I came across this:

Scan0006.jpg

A long time ago, back before I was able to locate and score a complete service manual of my own, I discovered that my local library actually had copies of the service manuals on file. That and a whole bunch of change let me selectively copy the most important pages and diagrams that, at the time, I had most need of.

What you see above is the complete wiring diagram for the first generation OBD I Electronic Control Module, aka the "computer". Everything shown on this diagram provides or returns input back to the module. For anyone contemplating the elimination of a malfunctioning or dead module, these are all the sensors and circuits that would have to be deleted or edited as well.

Me? Been there-done that, burnt the T-shirt years ago. All this was what I had to personally wade through just to get my own car to run properly when I first scored it.

Although not present on this diagram, as it has been edited to remove application titles and captions, it is relevant to both Monte Carlos and El Caminos that came with the first gen system. The diagram itself should be clear enough that someone reviewing it can identify both the various sensors used in the system as well as the color of wires in the various harnesses and where they plug in as part of the sockets that communicate with the board. Power to the module is not directly shown but, for reference, comes from the battery via that large copper stud on the solenoid. I elected to load this diagram in as a j-peg so anyone can grab it and download it for themselves. Once you have it, you can enlarge it to get a better view or create clearer text.

As was noted earlier, If the plan is to get rid of this whole mess, do be aware that you will also have to address both the distributor and the carb as they both depend on the module for input and guidance as well. Neither unit works too well on its own. The easiest solution for them is to locate and buy either older versions that can be tuned and tweaked manually, or go brand new. aftermarket hi-po.

One suggestion, if the plan is to delete this system, don't do it with a pair of side cutters and a trash can. While you may have no use for what you see as worthless crap, someone else on the board might be looking for all this stuff, particularly the various wiring harnesses and plugs and could easily be willing to pay to take it off your hands. Sure the stuff is old and might be sketchy but even a dead sensor or plug is useful for show and tell at the local parts store or on line.

Nick

• Informative
Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Just think, back in the day this was a high powered, 'new complex' electrical fandango's. 32, repeat 32, wires going to the 'brain'.

Wow have times changed - now we have one connector alone that is a 126 pin bulkhead connector that mounts next to the 88 pin bulkhead connector.

Reactions: 1 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I wonder how hard that would be to replicate with a modern, programmable, I/O system and a SBC (not the chevrolet) like a RPi or Arduino. hmmmmm..... imagine just swapping your ECM out for a new module that could be tuned any way you wanted. Probably only interesting as an academic exercise ...

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I wonder how hard that would be to replicate with a modern, programmable, I/O system and a SBC (not the chevrolet) like a RPi or Arduino. hmmmmm..... imagine just swapping your ECM out for a new module that could be tuned any way you wanted. Probably only interesting as an academic exercise ...
It would all fit on a thumb drive and hold your 250 hours of mp3s.

• Haha

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
See attachment - this is why I use Megasquirt's - it's truly that simple. After you figure out some basic's software, it's that easy.

Attachments

• MS2V357_Hardware-3.4.pdf
    9.3 MB · Views: 262
Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO

While not as fancy as what you're pitching, EBL Flash is pretty capable. Says it supports an 85 Monte.

Reactions: 1 user

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
I believe replacing/installing another PCM for the older ECM is possible. However, this swap requires a lot of work. For example, the older ECM connectors are flat and spade-like while the later model PCMs use a different plug design. Also, each wire needs to be traced from the sensor and inserted into the correct plug location. This time consuming task will ensure the correct input for the PCM. Once the connections are verified and crosswalked, the newer PCM will require tuning using a variety of programs and computer equipment.

The benefit of a newer PCM offers the following: (1) PCMs have faster processors which enables better responsiveness; (2) more parameters and accessories (efan control, transmissions, etc.) can be included and performance manipulated; and (3) PCMs can be reconfigured/retrofitted to allow easy use of programmable PROMs (chips).

Much of how exactly to do this swap can be found at http://gearhead-efi.com/

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
How hardwired are you into your local college or university? The software or programming would be the sort of exercise that a graduate student in computer science might take on as a project for a master's degree; subject to approval from higher, of course.

As an aside to all this, in 1985, there were no personal computers. It was all main frame and only the rich and corporate could afford it. The technology itself was based on 8 bits per byte and the machine code was created and written in binary, 0's and 1's. With the 32 inputs that were mentioned above, that ECM worked with a 4 byte BIOS. That was all that was necessary because it didn't store data as such. it did "remember" some types of input that could be read using a scanner but it mostly monitored what the engine was doing, based on the input or feedback it received from the sensors, things like the idle speed and water temperature, AFR, and ignition advance, and used that information to make adjustments to things like the idle speed and ignition advance to help the motor stay running smoothly as it warmed up, accelerated, or decelerated (braked). It was so rudimentary that I think the engine had to be running for the ECM to be able to provide data delivery to a scanner. No codes or defaults, it was all done in real time.
By comparison, when the first personal computer appeared it was build in an 8 bit/256k-byte OS format and that remained the standard for succeeding generations. Not going to go to how the geeks compensated for that. The lecture is freshman fodder and can be found on line if you look. Similar to its automotive counterpart, It's internal memory was rudimentary to almost non existent and user had to rely on 5" floppy disks (remember them?!) to store the work they had created.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I swapped the computer harness in my car from a Buick V6 CCC setup to a Chevy V8 CCC setup, it was pretty easy. Each GM division used a different CCC setup from the other, and Chevy had the best version. The CCC controls the air fuel mixture only on the primary side, the spark advance, knock retard on some setups, torque converter lockup in the trans, EGR flow, idle speed for Olds and Buick, AIR system diverter valves, EVAP purge in later years, and the A/C in Olds setups. Buick and Chevy got knock retard early on but Olds got it very late. The CCC does not control idle speed on Chevy setups.

Back in the day Crane Cams did make aftermarket ECMs for GM CCC cars. They fould be programed with trimpots as well as a dash mount module with a O2 gauge, knob to adjust fuel mixture and spark advance, and override switch for TC lockup, plus an electric fan controller. Sadly these units are very rare, but they werd ahead of their times as most cars guys where not used to computer tuning. Up until the mid 2000s, many hotrodders did not want to deal with computer controls, or "computer junk" as they used to call it.

There are a few simple but highly effective upgrades for CCC systems. One upgrade that is effective with all types of CCC is to install a heated 3 wire O2 sensor as they are less lazy than non heated one wire O2 sensors. I don't how effective a faster ECM would be as the the M/C solenoid cycling speed is fixed at 10 cycles a second. Chevy CCC systems have the benefit of the ZZ4 performance chip that GM once sold and has been cloned to this day. I have both a modified ZZ4 PROM clone and a heated O2 sensor and both are a night and day difference.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
If you had to have it (a functioning CCC system in a full restoration that is) you could stuff a basic modern microprocessor in the old CCC brain box so long as you had the target values for each sensor and the if/then relationship when certain thresholds are met.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor