so many different valves...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
trying to find the right size exhaust valve for my head with cast # 14101081
summit has two different ones. same valve diameter, but different stem diameter.
any of you guys know which is the one I need? thanks fellas.

camaro engine.jpg

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
One is stainless one is normal steel. Odds are the normal steel is the right one. Get a digital caliper and measure your stems.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
SB chevys only use an o ring at the top of the valve stem just under the keeper from the factory. Many times they get brittle and break apart. You can get umbrella seals and even positive seals aftermarket that fit over the valve guide and work better. As a personal preference I always use the o rings as well when I put positive or umbrellas on a sbc.

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You have 'positive' seals on the your intakes and nothing on your exhausts. That is common due to the exhausts have pressure on the oil film between the stem and guide whereas the intake have vacuum trying to suck the oil on the stem into the intake port. It's a good idea to put new positive seals on to both (viton recommended), but it is not a requirement to have them on the exhausts.

Remember to lube the heck out of the stems and guides when you assemble these with OIL, not WD40 or anything else. Reason being that it take s along time for oil to get on the stem at initial, dry startup. You can destroy a set of guides by the time oil gets to them if they are not pre-lubed.

Reactions: 1 users

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
You have 'positive' seals on the your intakes and nothing on your exhausts. That is common due to the exhausts have pressure on the oil film between the stem and guide whereas the intake have vacuum trying to suck the oil on the stem into the intake port. It's a good idea to put new positive seals on to both (viton recommended), but it is not a requirement to have them on the exhausts.

Remember to lube the heck out of the stems and guides when you assemble these with OIL, not WD40 or anything else. Reason being that it take s along time for oil to get on the stem at initial, dry startup. You can destroy a set of guides by the time oil gets to them if they are not pre-lubed.
Thank you sir, these are the comments that i learn from. I will definitely do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor