So this happened today

Status
Not open for further replies.

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
I was driving down a rural 2 lane road in my Monte. Just cruising. I caught up with an 18 wheeler and was looking for an opportunity to pass. When I was able to get around the truck I gave about 4/5th throttle and the Monte was pulling hard and then, all of a sudden, it lost some power and started missing. I pulled over, shut it off and popped the hood. No spark plug wires were loose and I didn't see a vacuum line loose. I started it up and headed home so I could do a more thorough inspection. I found nothing wrong externally so I pulled the plugs to see if one was fouled or loose. The number 3 spark plug apparently made some contact. I don't think anything was broken but this is scary. I got lucky I guess.
IMG_20181023_202251.jpg

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
No. It has 15K on it. It was recently (1500K) taken apart for a head leak. A head gasket partially failed. I did have the heads shaved just enough to insure they were true. Guess I'll have to go with a thicker gasket.

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
Got a borescope? I'd take a looksee before I tore it all apart...
May have swallowed something, or busted a rock hard piece of carbon loose.
If you're thinking your pee-stone came up enough to ding a plug, you've likely got bigger issues..

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
Got a borescope? I'd take a looksee before I tore it all apart...
May have swallowed something, or busted a rock hard piece of carbon loose.
If you're thinking your pee-stone came up enough to ding a plug, you've likely got bigger issues..
No borescope. I replaced the plugs and it no longer has the miss so the plug was definitely the problem. I'm going to go for a drive today and see how it does. The engine wasn't disassembled completely. Just down to major components so that some leaky gaskets could be replaced. The only "change" was the heads being trued. I only ran it for a minute last nite and it ran and sounded fine. I'll just not get heavy on the throttle until I can get new, thicker head gaskets.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
It did it once odds are it will happen again if you haven't adjusted anything!! You may have got lucky the first time, might not be so lucky the second!

My thoughts, if you can't get a hold of a borescope, pull it apart an check it and put thicker head gaskets on, only take a few hours verses $$$$.

Just my thoughts!!!

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
To me that plug doesn't look like ever fired, are you sure that plug wasn't ike that when you installed it?. I have seen plugs that got hit by a piston and there doesn't seem to be any contact marks on the plug you pulled. The loss of power and a miss can be caused by a lean mixture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor