So What Do YOU Suggest I Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Getting more and more post-reports and PM's about the apparent going-into-the-toilet (-to-hell-in-handbasket, insert your own euphemism) of the site. Not sure how to even respond to this. So, I open it up for discussion. What do you, the users (long-time and newb's alike) suggest we do to make things better around here? I'm open for suggestions of all kinds. I just might act on them. Some suggestions may not be technically possible, so keep that in mind.

Seriously, I'm all ears at this point. I really don't know what to do next. Let's hear it.

suffrn6

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2011
saint john, nb canada
I've been noticing alot of bashing going towards the big wheel cars. Why not have a section just for those cars that way people that don't like those cars don't have to go into that section. Would stop alot of the BS that is being posted. IMO
As for some of the other BS that is going on I think that some people just need to check their feelings at the door.
I personally think this is a good site and we are all here for the love of our "G" bodies would hate to see it go down hill because of a few bad comments being thrown around.

Chris

dlo253

G-Body Guru
Mar 25, 2011
PNW, WA
suffrn6 said:
I've been noticing alot of bashing going towards the big wheel cars. Why not have a section just for those cars that way people that don't like those cars don't have to go into that section. Would stop alot of the BS that is being posted. IMO
As for some of the other BS that is going on I think that some people just need to check their feelings at the door.
I personally think this is a good site and we are all here for the love of our "G" bodies would hate to see it go down hill because of a few bad comments being thrown around.

Chris

Sounds like the best option, although the posts will still show on the front page....and even knowing its in that section. I think people would still click it and the same stuff would still probly happen. I say try that though maybe, and as stated earlier... just let it go on and die off... not much you can do besides handing out bans, which shouldn't have to happen.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Unfortunately it may be time for a "how to act like a grownup" thread. In real life it's usually important to address a problem head-on. In the forum world sometimes the best response is NO response. The problem, as I see it, in a predominantly male atmosphere is that many have a tendency to get cybertough. Some guys are just dicks and get off on the conflict. When dealing with subjects like race or religion comments can easily be misstated and misinterpreted. The fact is, we are all entitled to our own opinions and free speech under the constitution. While it may be legal to think or say something -- it's often not appropriate.
-Hate-speech should not be tolerated and I think a vacation/suspension (at minimum) is a reasonable response. Repeat offenders may be better off on another forum.
-Opinions are just that. Those on the receiving end of a negative comment need to sack up. It's not necessarily a personal attack. Some people just don't have a filter. Ignore it and it goes away.

To the mods: I'm sorry this is turning into an issue. It's unfortunate that you job has to focus on babysitting instead of general forum community improvement.

When did it stop being all about the cars? :?

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
dlo253 said:
Sounds like the best option, although the posts will still show on the front page....and even knowing its in that section. I think people would still click it and the same stuff would still probly happen. I say try that though maybe, and as stated earlier... just let it go on and die off... not much you can do besides handing out bans, which shouldn't have to happen.

I can limit which forums' posts get shown on the front page of the site. That's easy. (Off-Topic is this way, along with the test and support forums) ... But if I "hide" that section (or even create it at all), then I'm sure I'll have to hear about that. I'd rather not do that anyway. They still show on the 'unread posts' page, which I don't think I can hide any of them explicitly (unless its in a forum you don't have access to anyway.)

There's lots of ways to not see topics. Not clicking on them is one. Using the friends and foes is another (although I don't think anyone uses it anywhere)... marking someone a foe just hides their posts from your view. Not helpful if non-foes post in a topic and bump it. faq.php#f60 It also doesn't hide them from the RSS feed.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
ALSO interested in just general "how to make this a better place" suggestions. Not limiting this to the current "drama" situation. Any ideas on anything that we need to do around here. I know there are several suggestions that I really need to find the time to sit down and hack out, such as:

- GBotM on the main page. Matter of coding up a block for the portal, just have to do it and stay on top of the winning threads...
- Performance issues. It's getting back to being sluggish at times. I'm trying to figure out why and solutions.
- Mobile considerations. Tapatalk and the other one :oops: I don't feel like searching for at the moment(!) I *will* implement this, but its not a minor addition. Can't find a large enough time block to pull it off.
- Stickers. I know, I know. Still can't find a happy medium between what I'd like to give you guys, how much it'd cost (me and you) and what it would look like. I'm probably being too picky here. (this wouldn't be the place for the inevitable "I want mine x.5" long, in red, and cost no more than $y...)

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I'm happy as it is, but the problem is, it's easy to act tough/immature on the net. These same bashers would cross the street if they saw the people they objected to walking towards them. I'm not sure how to combat it,besides ignoring or banning. I left a previously great site just because certain babies made everything a political soapbox, and I applaud your keeping this site neutral. I guess banning the chronically offensive people is the last resort, and if they can't take a hint, good riddance. At least all the guys on here seem to actually HAVE a G body, which was not the case on the other site. You had trolls like this guy below just logging on to stir up trouble.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
3n63oa3lc5Y05X65S5b3192d20d14cd9d1e7a.jpg

suffrn6

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2011
saint john, nb canada
DRIVEN said:
Unfortunately it may be time for a "how to act like a grownup" thread.
I agree with this 100%. It is time for people to grow up and stop acting like a grade school kids. There are way to many people on here bashing what others are doing to their cars. Everyone has different tastes. You don't like something just leave the thread and carry on. Starting to remind me of a Turbo Buick board I go on to where all the "purists" are hating on the guys putting turbo LS engines in their GN's. Grow up!
Enough of that.

One idea for the main page GP is to do away with the recent posts and have a pic or pics of the GBOTM and a write up about the car. That way everyone has to come into the board and go through the post. All the recent ones are at the top of the page anyway. People can then go into the threads they want to. As for the people causing the drama and hatin on some of the posts, give them a warning, they do it again give them a vacation, they come back and cause more BS then ban them. If they are causing a bunch of sh*t then they probably not needed here or contributing that much anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Chris

kuruption109

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 28, 2008
highland, CA
suffrn6 said:
DRIVEN said:
Unfortunately it may be time for a "how to act like a grownup" thread.
I agree with this 100%. It is time for people to grow up and stop acting like a grade school kids. There are way to many people on here bashing what others are doing to their cars. Everyone has different tastes. You don't like something just leave the thread and carry on. Starting to remind me of a Turbo Buick board I go on to where all the "purists" are hating on the guys putting turbo LS engines in their GN's. Grow up!
Enough of that.

One idea for the main page GP is to do away with the recent posts and have a pic or pics of the GBOTM and a write up about the car. That way everyone has to come into the board and go through the post. All the recent ones are at the top of the page anyway. People can then go into the threads they want to. As for the people causing the drama and hatin on some of the posts, give them a warning, they do it again give them a vacation, they come back and cause more BS then ban them. If they are causing a bunch of sh*t then they probably not needed here or contributing that much anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Chris
this is a GREAT IdeA....just my .2 cents lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor