so, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Well, I would think a G body weighs more than 3300 pounds as well, and mine has power windows, locks and A/C. I am thinking mine will go quicker with sticky tires, but I don't know how much the mph will improve. Keep in mind that it was my first trip to the track and the car's too.

I am basing my 400 hp figure off an engine Hot Rod built a few years ago very similar to mine and it made 370hp. Mine has an Air-Gap intake and roller rockers so I was hoping for a lil more than 370.

Keep in mind that all those fabled muscle cars from back in the day didn't all run 12s. Many were 14 and 15 second cars.

Marine05's times seem pretty good to me. I know a guy with 350 in a square S10 that turned 13.40 on drag radials.

Are you using one of those online 1/4 time calculators; cause I tried those and they seemed pretty phony.

Cutlassjim

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2006
I was just going to say, G-bodies really don't weigh as much as everyone thinks. I think my old 87 Cutlass V8 ac power nothing weighed 35 and change with me in it and I weigh 230.

And T-types/GN's weigh about the same and pull high 13's with "260" horse.

Sticky tires will do almost nothing for your MPH just your ET. Maybe a little higher because you are putting more power to the ground sooner so you are accelerating longer and maybe gain 1-2 MPH. Case in point is my car, the ONLY reason I run a 12.3 is because of traction(see pic at bottom). I think over the course of the night I went from a 13.8(missing a gear) to a 12.3 all with mph within 3mph of each other.

And most of those cars back in the day only made low 300 horse and had INSANE drivetrain loss so were only making high 200 to the wheels and actually did weigh in around 4000 lbs. A kid I know made 861WHP going through a powerglide transmission and GM 12 bolt and was told by the dyno guy he's losing around 250 horse through the drive train! :shock:

Like I said before my Talon has 305 AWHP and 321(I think)lb-ft of torque and when I take people with Fox body mustangs and non LS1 F-bodies for a ride they almost sh*t themselves and think the car has 500 hundred horse. It's all a matter of experience and perception. I would hate to see them take a ride in my friends 450 AWHP Evo where I almost crap myself. :D

Either way I hope the thing makes really good power and runs some low 13's maybe tickles the 12's, I love seeing fast G-bodies. So enough with the bench racing get that thing to the track and let us know how it does!

EDIT This is a pic of my 1.65 60' run, can we say weight transfer :p
0511DSC_4974.jpg

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Well what more can I add to that. :)

I agree, get that thang to the track and let us know what it does!!

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
eventually

:x im tryin to get it going, but you all know the phrase sh*t happens! engines in the car trying to get every thing right, and the damn bolt breaks in the crank snout!!!! needless to say i've been having fun getting it out. anyway, i'm getting there and you guys will be the first to know. well the second, my pissed off neighbors will be the first. :twisted:

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
I don't think" furrin" cars should be allowed to run on 'merican drag strips.

Mr 4 Speed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sounds like a good motor.
IMHO and experience,low 13's is certainly a possibility.
For a carb,I would use a 3310 Holley (750 vacuum secondary) unless you know how to tune the Qjet.You will certainly need to change the main jet size,primary and secondary metering rods and the secondary hanger.A Buick high flow need/seat assembly will help too if you stick with the Qjet.
A stock application Qjet will be too lean for your combo.

steve 86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 23, 2006
hamden ct.
well......i see it like this......good american muscle costs good american money....for example, when i was a teen, chevelles,cutlasses,camaros etc....were a dime a dozen, and g-bodys were " grandmas cars". i probably wouldnt take one unless u gave it to me.........now a days, the muscle market has priced itself well out of the range of most young people, thus......they build what they can afford.....hondas, dsm's,vw's, etc....as a result we see more and more at the track............NO, I dont like seeing them at the track( especially when i get whipped by one with a turbo thats as big as the engine itself :oops: ), but hey, this is America and the sport is here to be enjoyed by everyone, even at the purists like us dismay.
its kind of a necessary evil :evil: ...............................................i gotta say though some tuners really know what they are doing, and you gotta respect them, if we are'nt on our game, they will make us look stupid, this is why we really have to think before we build an engine, the biggest cams we can stuff, dual quads, and lots of chrome, makes NOT the fastest car, i think an "efficient" build will go faster, but thats another post :D .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor