So you want to install a 4L80E? Learn from my mistakes (and successes!)

78BB-Pontiac

Apprentice
May 6, 2019
St.Paul, Minnesota
Yep. I still have my column shift steering column; I simply removed the shift lever from it.

No idea. I'm just guessing here, but I would think you could remove the stock floor shifter and install the Winters in its place. Worst case, you might need to fabricate a custom plate for attaching the aftermarket shifter to the factory console... maybe?

Yes, you do! Supplement it with plenty of photos. Others here will chime in with their comments and suggestions.
Actually I would like to keep my stock console shifter. It’s in decent shape and the center button has a Pontiac symbol.
Been real busy at work and haven’t had time to start a build thread on my car yet. Maybe Saturday some time?

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Figured I would ask here .... Does the stock dipstick tube fit our G bodies or is it too long/tall because it came out of a truck? I don't have a tube yet so I have no way of knowing... Thanks !!!

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Figured I would ask here .... Does the stock dipstick tube fit our G bodies or is it too long/tall because it came out of a truck? I don't have a tube yet so I have no way of knowing... Thanks !!!
It fits, I think I bought either the Summit branded or Allstar locking style.
20190816_062936.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Benwa

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2020
Winslow Illinois
Very nice! Wish that I would of seen this earlier. 1981 Monte Carlo 468bbc. 700r4 was ride or die through many a nitrous bottle until the heat got it and i went 4L80e also. I used a Rosslock controller because of price and now no one asks to drive as its a manual valve body. I have been eyeballing that same shifter for a couple years as the mega shifter requires adjustments ever couple of months. Just havent found a transbrake button for that shifter yet. Looks like it fits well in the car though. Nice work!!!

tengbods

n00b
Jun 24, 2021
How much power are you running through your 454 and transmission? I just picked up a 4L80E out of an Aston Martin DB7 believe it or not... It read in this article, https://www.autogespot.com/the-legend-of-the-1999-aston-martin-db7, that they were rated to handle 440hp in that car but I have heard they can handle more. I am making around 530hp with my 383 stroker and need the stock 4L80E to handle it at least for half a year.

Reactions: 1 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
How much power are you running through your 454 and transmission? I just picked up a 4L80E out of an Aston Martin DB7 believe it or not... It read in this article, https://www.autogespot.com/the-legend-of-the-1999-aston-martin-db7, that they were rated to handle 440hp in that car but I have heard they can handle more. I am making around 530hp with my 383 stroker and need the stock 4L80E to handle it at least for half a year.
Welcome to the forum. You might want to introduce yourself before asking a question. It’s polite and proper etiquette.

Most people will say a stock 4L80 in good condition is good for 600 hp. Add a Trans-go HD2 kit like I did and they are good for over 1000 hp.

1624562938325.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

tengbods

n00b
Jun 24, 2021
Welcome to the forum. You might want to introduce yourself before asking a question. It’s polite and proper etiquette.

Most people will say a stock 4L80 in good condition is good for 600 hp. Add a Trans-go HD2 kit like I did and they are good for over 1000 hp.

View attachment 178512
Sorry, I'm not much for introductions I was just trying to figure out if this thing is gonna blow up on me tomorrow or not, lol. My name is Tanner though and thanks for the help. I'm going to leave it stock like I said for a half year to a year (especially if it's good for around 600hp stock) and then rebuild it when work slows down and I have some free time.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Sorry, I'm not much for introductions I was just trying to figure out if this thing is gonna blow up on me tomorrow or not, lol. My name is Tanner though and thanks for the help. I'm going to leave it stock like I said for a half year to a year (especially if it's good for around 600hp stock) and then rebuild it when work slows down and I have some free time.
I don't have the Trans Go kit in mine, but I do have a good pump and it is properly rebuilt. I'm making north of 800hp. You should be fine on a stock unit with your motor if the trans is in good working order.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

D123gt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 22, 2021
My th400 just kicked the bucket so I am looking in upgrading to the 4l80. I have a couple questions. First is do you have to get a new cross member or is there enough wiggle room on the stock one. Second is will I need a new driveshaft yoke. Third is do most aftermarket controllers run the lockup converter by themselves.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor