REGAL Soldering jumper wires on the gauge cluster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

druggles85

Pendejo
Oct 25, 2009
Exeter, NH
Okay. I'm not quite to that point yet, but I strongly suspect I'm having some issues with the printed circuit on the back of the gauges.

I have one working dash light and the voltage gauge works. That's it.

Today I'm taking over my multimeter to check continuity, so I might prove this theory wrong.

If I do need to solder on a couple jumper wires does anybody have any suggestions as to gauge of wire. Or any tips on how to solder wires to things?

I've only ever soldered wires together for things like radio installs or repairing mouse damage. And copper pipe with a torch, but I don't think that will help me here.

Attachments

• IMG_20200826_144522946.jpg
    IMG_20200826_144522946.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 118

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I wouldn't call that a good starting project to learn how to solder. You're better off trying to find a better printed circuit.
Basic solder rules:
Clean surfaces (wire, iron, solder, etc)
Tin surfaces first (think contact cement)
Prime the iron ^^^^^
Clean your tip

Reactions: 2 users

druggles85

Pendejo
Oct 25, 2009
Exeter, NH
I wouldn't call that a good starting project to learn how to solder. You're better off trying to find a better printed circuit.
Basic solder rules:
Clean surfaces (wire, iron, solder, etc)
Tin surfaces first (think contact cement)
Prime the iron ^^^^^
Clean your tip

Haha, you got that right! I'm not trying to learn anything. Lol. Hopefully the multimeter will prove me wrong. But I mean, nobody's going to do it for me, and I don't really have much to lose by trying.

**Edit** are you saying it's possible to bend the tabs up and change the printed circuit?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can even get new aftermarket.
Here's a little tip: did you ever play with electric slot cars? Remember how to clean the contacts? It was a pencil eraser, and it works on any copper connection.

Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
what about using a product for the defrost grid repair on rear windows...... :popcorn:

Reactions: 3 users

druggles85

Pendejo
Oct 25, 2009
Exeter, NH
I've been trying to find a CHEAP 84+ dashboard steering column and underhood wiring harness out of anything to swap in. Thought I was close yesterday with a Cutlass Interior, but that wasn't as nice as in the pictures...

That would solve all my problems at once. Fix my cluster. Allow my radio to fit and upgrade to the newer style wiper motor.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can even get new aftermarket.
Here's a little tip: did you ever play with electric slot cars? Remember how to clean the contacts? It was a pencil eraser, and it works on any copper connection.
Bruce,
It's funny that you mentioned slot cars. I was thinking more in the lines of the copper stripping that they used for track contact. To be used to repair broken circuits on the circuit boards....and I've always used pencil erasers to clean contacts, etc. I'm glad you mentioned that. Always a good tip.

What Steve mentioned referring to the heater grid for back windows, etc, That would be pretty much like the slot car contact stripping. ..the same principal.

Reactions: 1 user

druggles85

Pendejo
Oct 25, 2009
Exeter, NH
Well it's not the printed circuit. At least not causing the problems with my gauges. I checked and cleaned everything my temperature and voltage both work and illumination works.

Idiot lights don't seem to work and the gas gauge is dead. Turns out that it the gauge itself though.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor