Solid Bench Seat... Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhyno811

Apprentice
Mar 2, 2009
Central NJ
I know in order to put buckets or 60/40 seats in my Malibu I need the inner mounts.. My problem is I'm no welder and not the best measurer..hahaha.

Anyone swap a solid bench for another one out of a non gbody car? I like the solid bench, but mine is shot and I really need a clean black or gray bench for the bu. Any suggestions?

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
I never used one from a different style car so I can't help there, but the inner mounts aren't to bad to do. You could pull your carpet and take the car to someone that does weld then just unbolt your bench, set the buckets on the outer mounts, put the new inners in place, mark location, remove seat, grind paint from new location, set the seat back in, line the seats up and tighten the nuts on the outer mounts. tack the inners in place, pull the seats, finish weld, install seats, pay, go home take the seats back out, paint over bare metal, re-install carpet, cut around new mounts and re-install seats. Since it is a seat you do want someone that knows what their doing to weld it. And you do need good floors to weld to.

rhyno811

Apprentice
Mar 2, 2009
Central NJ
Yeah I have a mint 60/40 from a grand prix, just seems like more work then I want to deal with for a seat. I'm gonna do some measuring and see what I can bolt my bench brackets to... We will see

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The inner brackets could also be bolted in. The seat belt anchors are what saves your life. The 60/40 seat and the buckets use the same mounting points. Flip the seats over and line up the inner and outer tracks. Take some cardboard and make a pattern. If you have the inner mounts from the donor car, place them using the pattern and puts some nuts and bolts through the floor. You can always go back later and weld the holes up,joining the brackets and floorboards at the same time.

rhyno811

Apprentice
Mar 2, 2009
Central NJ
The inner brackets could also be bolted in. The seat belt anchors are what saves your life. The 60/40 seat and the buckets use the same mounting points. Flip the seats over and line up the inner and outer tracks. Take some cardboard and make a pattern. If you have the inner mounts from the donor car, place them using the pattern and puts some nuts and bolts through the floor. You can always go back later and weld the holes up,joining the brackets and floorboards at the same time.

Wait... So if I'm taking the inner mounts from the donor what am I putting nuts and bolts through? Sorry, I'm confused. I thought you meant just drill holes and bolt the seat to the floor.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I think what he meant was...if you can't weld or find someone to weld in the inner brackets you could bolt them in. The brackets are spot welded to the floor from factory...you can drill out the spot welds and then be able to bolt them in. He's a pic of a set I drilled out from a donor car...

f2e9eeef9c56578437bb3506358a8a19.jpg

rhyno811

Apprentice
Mar 2, 2009
Central NJ
I think what he meant was...if you can't weld or find someone to weld in the inner brackets you could bolt them in. The brackets are spot welded to the floor from factory...you can drill out the spot welds and then be able to bolt them in. He's a pic of a set I drilled out from a donor car...

View attachment 38254

Oh I see.. So bolt them where the spot welds are. Gotcha thanks

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Oh I see.. So bolt them where the spot welds are. Gotcha thanks

The "best" way to do this is to bring it to a body shop with welding skills. (not someone with a Harbor Freight welder). You need a good TIG welder that can be dialed down to prevent burning through the body sheet metal. Bolts may work but may also be an issue in a collision. For peace of mind I would weld.

rhyno811

Apprentice
Mar 2, 2009
Central NJ
The "best" way to do this is to bring it to a body shop with welding skills. (not someone with a Harbor Freight welder). You need a good TIG welder that can be dialed down to prevent burning through the body sheet metal. Bolts may work but may also be an issue in a collision. For peace of mind I would weld.

If I can find a very clean gray solid bench I would prefer to do that... Don't want to get into the welding and $$$$$$$$ over seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor