motor mounts option/ install

Status
Not open for further replies.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Poly is good to a decent amount of power. 500 is a good reference point. If you need to do solids, solid on the driver side has been done for years. Finally, stay away from solid trans mount regardless of what motor mounts are used. Due to vibrations and alignment something needs to flex. I ran solid mounts and a rubber trans mount to 700 hp and solids and a poly mount to 820 hp.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I was always told by my old gearhead mentors that solid only on driver's side for street cars. Vibration isn't the only reason. If the car is in an accident, you want the rubber to break away. Sucks if you bend a frame and sheetmetal. Sucks way worse when it shears your mount bosses on the block and brakes your tail housing too.
Just something to consider.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If the car is in an accident, you want the rubber to break away. Sucks if you bend a frame and sheetmetal. Sucks way worse when it shears your mount bosses on the block and brakes your tail housing too
I think if you are hit hard enough to move your engine regardless of what mounts it has your car is probably totaled

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
our car hit the inside wall with some help, motor and frame moved enough for the upper control arm to put a dent in the header but the engine with solid mounts survived, was back on the track the next Friday with a new clip but with same body. With sold mounts you don't loose any inertia with the engine trying to rotate

Jake Ott Ccrash.jpg

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I think if you are hit hard enough to move your engine regardless of what mounts it has your car is probably totaled
Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at. Your car is probably done but at least you still might be able to save the engine and transmission for another car. Potato / pertater 🙃.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
There is no polyurethane mounts for the Olds V8. The one solid from DMR and the Supercars Unlimited mount with a piece of chain on the rubber mount. Or jus try two of the Supercars ruhber mounts. I have yet to have a factory mount fail, you must have some serious torque to destroy them.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
There is no polyurethane mounts for the Olds V8. The one solid from DMR and the Supercars Unlimited mount with a piece of chain on the rubber mount. Or jus try two of the Supercars ruhber mounts. I have yet to have a factory mount fail, you must have some serious torque to destroy them.
Car has never been on a dyno, but the previous owner estimates the car at 400hp and 475 tq. Not crazy numbers but these mounts didnt last long.....2 months on the car and probly driven 15 times before they broke

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
Decided to go with Oem mounts and will try to find a torque limiter or strap.....whats the best way to do this? Nicely jack up the motor just enough to replace the mounts?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Decided to go with Oem mounts and will try to find a torque limiter or strap.....whats the best way to do this? Nicely jack up the motor just enough to replace the mounts?
Try the Supercars Unlimited mounts. They claim they are made by another company than the other mounts on market, usually under the Anchor name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor