CUTLASS Solved ECM fuse keeps blowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigo’s87

Greasemonkey
Aug 31, 2019
Houston, Texas
Just a quick back story, car has been running good. Yesterday while driving to work I noticed my AC not working/cooling. About 4 months ago I ran into same issue, checked fuses and found ecm 10 fuse blown. I put a new one and AC was back to working no problems. Now I put in 3 new fuses and blew as soon as turn key on, I even put in a 15 and it blew just as fast. I’m turning key on while the climate control is off. Checked engine lights up as soon as Car turns on and runs fine, but I do smell a stronger gas smell than usual. Being that this week I work night shift I won’t be able to tingle with it until Saturday night. Just wanted to see if anyone ran into this problem and I hope is nothing serious.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
First don't go higher than the listed rating of a fuse, bad flames can show up. Now what circuits keep blowing besides the ECM? I had a simular issue with my '81 Monte back in '94. Just kept blowing the ECM & Gauge fuses. Kept checking grounds, all good. Took it to two stealerships, first one kept telling me it was the lock up plug on the transmission despite I kept telling him I replaced it with a non-lock up TH350, second one ripped everything apart in the dash & couldn't find an issue. I pulled the ECM on a whim & fixed the problem. Not saying it's the ECM but check it out cause something could went south & started to short it out.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't know anything about the ECM but if other circuits can cause it to blow what about removing all the fuses and relays, put the fuse in the ECM and then put in 1 fuse at a time to see when the ECM fuse blows.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Rigo’s87

Greasemonkey
Aug 31, 2019
Houston, Texas
First thing I’m gonna check the rest of the fuses and then go check engine compartment and look for any visible wiring that may be toasted then.... I’ll test your theory

Rigo’s87

Greasemonkey
Aug 31, 2019
Houston, Texas
Final update, issue resolved. I checked the rest of the fuses and they were good. I checked the hood and found some loom melted onto the the corner of the back valve cover. Thanks guys for your input. AC back on!

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor