Some consolation sought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
"something that would have to be harvested from a wreck?? " Just make one. I made all of mine. EDIT: Firebird seats, Firebird console, Firebird steering wheel, Firebird motor, Firebird trans, Buick power seat base. Gotta love GM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
First, for Buick 7332, that is a beautiful shot of how everything lines up. Wondering what make of t-mission you have in your ride as well as what make of shifter. Been seeing a lot of saginaws with something called an "ITM" 4-speed shifter. Went down to the basement and took another look at the Camaro/Saginaw 4-spd I have sitting down there. The attached 4-spd is whatever the factory built and installed in the car to begin with and it mounts totally differently from how a Hurst unit would bolt into position. From examining other pictures it also looks like the saggy shifter!! sits further forward on the sag-mission tail shaft housing than the Hurst does on my M-20. That Hurst is literally hanging from 3 of the 5 bosses that are found on the tail shaft housing just ahead of the rear seal pocket. This is leading me to conclude that, because the Hurst shifter may sit further back than the factory Saginaw does, the hole that I had to cut to accept the Hurst and Muncie combination sits further back as well. Since tolerances do have a tendency to stack up, that would push the console back too. Which is a good reason that the console sits as far back as it does; it literally almost bumps against the back seat!
Okay, that helps to explain a lot. By my measurements, which I do plan to revisit and re-revisit to make sure of, the console is 32"+ from end to end. To get it back into place I have to move the rear console mount further back by about 6+ inches; about the length of the back mount in its existing position, only having it start where it now ends.

As for "harvest" vs make" Harvest is my preference for this because it is simpler than a scratch build. The front mount for the console is actually also the front face of the auto-stick shifter assembly and what I would do is to score an example of that shifter that is basically a piece of useless junk and section away and keep the front face of it, giving me both the upper and lower pair of ears. The uppers pick up the matching holes in the console body, and the lowers locate to the tunnel. For them I would drill a new pair of holes like were present for it in the old location and pop in a pair of thread-serts. This way, if I need to get in there and work on anything, I can dismantle whatever is in the road without resorting to a red hot wrench and a chisel.

The big hiccup at this point is finding a scrap or wornout auto-stick shifter body for sale that I could use as the basis for my little adaptation job. Been surfing E-Bay and they are not plentiful on the ground. The local yards declared them surplus and scrapped out of inventory decades ago.

Good thing don't need this on the road yesterday (lol).

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor