Some cooling system questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

350Cutty

Apprentice
Dec 20, 2018
Miami, FL
Hey guys, I could use some knowledge. Well, trying to figure out how to set up my cooling system. Seeing as how I live in Miami with 80+ degree weather year round, cooling is very important.

Right now my Cutlass has the V6 stock radiator and reservoir (old dirty and full of crap), my lower hose is leaking as well, and the fan is one of those metal flex fans which are pretty much just for looks which the previous owner put on. Shroud is pretty beat up, cut, and missing the lower portion I believe.

Well, I'd like to keep it simple and reliable. Just ordered a new Champion aluminum 2 row radiator, and a good V8 fan shroud (upper and lower), now I want to set up the fan. I was thinking plastic OE style with a thermal clutch. Now my ac was deleted, but still has the old condenser (which I plan on removing when I put in the radiator). Thing is I didn't know which fan and clutch I should order. I never know what to tell the people at the auto parts store when they want a year and model for parts. Since I want something that fits a gbody but has a 350 V8. Should I start telling them like '88 Caprice or something?

Besides that I wanted to ask what hoses I should order as I've seen different styles for the 350 as well. I know I'll have to cut to fit, which is fine. Just want to make sure I get the right molding. And what thermostat do you guys recommend I run. I was thinking 180* but curious as to why 165* wouldn't be a good idea. Would that be too low of an operating temp for the 350sbc? Also, should I go ahead and replace my waterpump at the same time, or is it normally good until it craps out? Would an electric waterpump be a bad idea? Thank in advance for any replies.

Last edited:

350Cutty

Apprentice
Dec 20, 2018
Miami, FL
Can I swap out to a different style reservoir. I think the top might have blown on this one once when it started to boil over. Also, what is the proper way to bleed this cooling system. Is it like newer Fords where you make the radiator cap the highest point. Start the car when cold, and let it reach operating temp?

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Why replace your rad, your money but if it still works just flush the system. As for clutch fan say your year and sbc 305. Reservoir any will work. Bleeding your car nothing special. The thermostat is designed for that engine to work at its best no matter where you live.

What engine do you have, 6 or 8 cylinder?

Reactions: 1 user

350Cutty

Apprentice
Dec 20, 2018
Miami, FL
My Cutlass was a V6 originally, previous owner swapped in a 350sbc. Pretty solid car, but a lot of things were halfa$$ed, not done right, or guy just never got around to it. I'm trying to set it up as a reliable car now.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
My Cutlass was a V6 originally, previous owner swapped in a 350sbc. Pretty solid car, but a lot of things were halfa$$ed, not done right, or guy just never got around to it. I'm trying to set it up as a reliable car now.

Well then you may want to upgrade your rad. The shroud is important as olds has a long frontend.

350Cutty

Apprentice
Dec 20, 2018
Miami, FL
Well then you may want to upgrade your rad. The shroud is important as olds has a long frontend.
True. I'm converting from euro front to the Classic style, which I think has slightly larger grilles, and I want to remove the ac condenser too since the rest of the ac system is out. Hopefully between that, the complete shroud, and an OE style fan with clutch it should help. I'm mostly just worried about sitting in traffic on hot days, which is mostly what you do driving around here in Miami.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor