Some track time with the Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

crash

Master Mechanic
Feb 14, 2010
Sanford, Michigan
Took the Cutlass to the strip this past Sunday, with a bunch of friends from my local car club as well as another club that I was hosting a meet on.

I bought my Cutlass back in February this year, took it to the strip shortly after hoping for a mid to high 14 second pass and I pulled off a 14.33. Needless to say I was pretty happy!

About a month or so later, I wiped out a couple lobes on the cam and so I pulled the engine for a complete rebuild and swapped on a set of Trick Flow heads and roller rockers as well as added a shift kit. Took it back to the track hoping for high 13s, only to be dissapointed with a 14.049. I had a few issues at that time including a weak fuel pump and the trans was shifting at no higher then 5,000 RPM but the cam makes power to 6,000 RPM. I didn't know how to properly use the B&M shifter that is in the car so I just put it in gear and let it eat.

SO... I got a new fuel pump and figured the shifter out, then blew out the ring and pinion. I was told by the previous owner that it was 3.73 gears, come to find out they were 3.42, but I did replace them with 3.73s.

Now, on to the results from this past Sunday.

I was hoping for a high 13 second pass and I made a total of five runs. The only weight reduction I did was remove my sub / box ( Alpine Type R 15 in a good sized thick walled box ) and my amp ( Just a baby Viper 600 RMS @ 1 ohm ) The last two runs were made with the sub and amp back in the trunk.

My car is # 840M
My first run was my best!
IMG_20101014_102019.jpg

Here is a couple of my other passes
IMG_20101014_102033.jpg

IMG_20101014_102059.jpg

IMG_20101014_102044.jpg

Now, here is some pics from the day.

This was my final run for the day, but I was trying to line up with him earlier and it didn't work out. He has a 455 under the hood.
DSCN2203.jpg

DSCN2204.jpg

DSCN2205.jpg

DSCN2206.jpg

DSCN2207.jpg

DSCN2191.jpg

Mustang was a turbo Saleen and run a 12.8
DSCN2192.jpg

G Bodies were EVERYWHERE!! There was a least 8 Malibus, 4 turbo Buicks, 3 Cutlass, and 4 or 5 Monte Carlos!
DSCN2177.jpg

DSCN2178.jpg

DSCN2202.jpg

DSCN2157.jpg

DSCN2162.jpg

This guy ran 7.6x!
DSCN2129.jpg

DSCN2133.jpg

DSCN2130.jpg

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Very cool thanks for posting and the pics. Your 60 foots are not bad considering you are not running something like a drag radial. I like the blue, your wheels, & hood better than the blue Cutty in the other lane. What were the fastest gbodys there that day? Looks like it was a great day.

crash

Master Mechanic
Feb 14, 2010
Sanford, Michigan
I don't recall the quickest G Body there to be honest, but there was a few of them that were pulling the front tires off the ground!

I am actually surprised at how well these tires hook, I was running 40 PSI in them, just doing enough burnout to clean them off. Stage at right around 2,200 RPM and WOT the instant I am off the brakes. I get zero tire spin as well.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Very light burn out is all you want on a regular radial. When they get heated most get greasy and slicker opposite of a slick. The other blue Cutty with an Olds 455 ran a 14.6? Yuck he needs to get it together he should be bringing home some 12s on a mild stockish pump gas setup with some gears a cam & a tune. Bet he felt stupid getting waxed by you.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Very nice 60 ft's. Any suspension mods? My 60 ft's are in the 2.8 range on street tires :( .

crash

Master Mechanic
Feb 14, 2010
Sanford, Michigan
Actually no suspension mods at all. Shocks on all four corners are completely junk and the bushings on the rear axle are FUBAR. These are all on the list to be repaired over the winter.

I honestly can't tell you why, but I seriously get zero wheel spin at launch. From a dead stop on the street, going straight, and hitting it WOT, I only get a little wheel spin.

Tires are Hankook Ventus HR II 255/45/17 and I run full street pressure in them as I have not had a reason not to so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor