Somebody help my 84 MC! Cranks but won't turn over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

edb_app

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 6, 2012
My MC has been running perfectly lately. Just last week I had a dead cell in my battery so I got a replacement and it was starting and running stronger then ever until this morning! I go to start her up and she wont turn over! She cranks and cranks and cranks but nothing! I tested the battery and it's giving out a good 12 volts. I did install a kill switch through the ignition months ago but it's never gave me any problems. I even removed the switch to see if it made a difference, nope! Checked all of the fuses and their all good. Been researching all day trying to figure out what happened. Every morning I depress the gas once before starting and I tried holding the pedal to the floor just in case I flooded it but that didn't help. I also went and bought a ignition coil and switched that out and still not turning over. Could someone please shoot me some advice?! Is it safe to rule out the starter since it's actually cranking? Thanks everyone in advance!

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Check if you have spark and fuel

edb_app

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 6, 2012
For the spark should I remove a spark plug, keep it connected to the wire and ground it somewhere then crank the engine while someone else checks for spark? For the fuel, would I press the gas while someone looks down the carb to see if fuel is squirting?

edb_app

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 6, 2012
Is it safe to say I have fuel since there's been a real strong smell of it the whole time when trying to start it up?

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
edb_app said:
For the spark should I remove a spark plug, keep it connected to the wire and ground it somewhere then crank the engine while someone else checks for spark? For the fuel, would I press the gas while someone looks down the carb to see if fuel is squirting?

Yup that sounds about right ! These would be the first 2 things to check when you have a no start issue

edb_app

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 6, 2012
Ah ha! So it was the ignition coil all along but couldn't tell because I had the wires going into the distributor in the wrong place! Good thing I took a picture of my distributor before I removed the wires! Compared how I plugged them in to the picture and they all needed to be scooted over one spot! Went to start again and poof, problem gone! Oh yeah! So all you newbs out there, make sure you note how things were plugged in, my problem could have been solved a lot earlier if I would have checked they were in the right spot. Thanks for your input Lorenzo!

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
edb_app said:
Ah ha! So it was the ignition coil all along but couldn't tell because I had the wires going into the distributor in the wrong place! Good thing I took a picture of my distributor before I removed the wires! Compared how I plugged them in to the picture and they all needed to be scooted over one spot! Went to start again and poof, problem gone! Oh yeah! So all you newbs out there, make sure you note how things were plugged in, my problem could have been solved a lot earlier if I would have checked they were in the right spot. Thanks for your input Lorenzo!

Glad you got it figured out :) Good find!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor