Someone help me please!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marquin

n00b
Apr 14, 2012
JXN, MS
i have a 1984 Old Cutlass with the original v6 3.8L motor in it. About a month ago, i was lead to believe that my car had jumped time. So I removed everything to get to the timing chain and seen that nothing was off. the dots on the crank and the cam lined up perfectly and the chain wasnt broken. now im having trouble putting my distributor back in. someone told me that the rotor button has to be pointed towards the number 1 piston on all olds motors. tried that and put my cap back on and tried to crank it and it still wouldnt fire. thought it was low and gas, tried that........and still wouldnt fire.

so right now im at a breaking point because i want to keep the original motor but im serious thinking of an engine swap.......i really dont want to but at the same time the id love to have more horses!!!!!!! LOL

please help me because im hella lost!!!

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
You have a Buick engine, however the distributor should be fitted the same way.

Did you note the rotor position and mark the distributor position before you removed it?. The rotor will turn a little as the distributor engages with the timing gear, perhaps you are tooth out if you have the rotor lined up before it's installed.

What made you think the timing had jumped in the first place?.

Roger.

Marquin

n00b
Apr 14, 2012
JXN, MS
what made me think the timing jumped was it just all of a sudden cut off on me at work. i cheked to see if it was getting fire from the spark plug wires and it was. tried cranking it again and it ran for a min then cut off soon as i got off the gas. the policeman at my job told me he worked on gbodies a while back and told me my car jumped time.

i didnt note which way the distributor was turned but another person told me to make sure the number 1 piston was up and drop the distributor in. yes it did turn a little when i dropped it in but when i put the cap back on, it still didnt fire up.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Air/fuel/spark...the 3 fundamentals of an engine. Air is usually, always there. You said you have spark. Maybe the fuel filter is dirty or the fuel pump is faulty.

Marquin

n00b
Apr 14, 2012
JXN, MS
so if none of that works you think i should go with the 350? i really wanna keep it as original as possible but i seriously think the v6 has quit me..............

illregal

Apprentice
Nov 13, 2009
this is from alldata;
Disconnect ignition switch battery feed wire and tachometer lead (if equipped) from distributor cap. Also release the coil connectors from the cap. (DO NOT use a screwdriver or tool to release the locking tabs.)
Remove distributor cap by turning four latches counterclockwise. Move cap out of the way.
Disconnect 4 terminal ECM harness from distributor.
If necessary remove secondary wires from cap, release wiring harness latches and remove wiring harness retainer. The spark plug wire numbers are indicated on the retainer.
Remove distributor clamp screw and hold-down clamp.
Note position of rotor, then pull distributor up until rotor just stops turning counterclockwise and again note position of rotor.
To insure correct timing of the distributor, the distributor must be INSTALLED with the rotor correctly positioned as noted. If the engine was accidently cranked after the distributor was removed, the following procedure can be used for installing:
Remove No.1 spark plug.
Place finger over No. 1 spark plug hole and crank engine slowly until compression is felt.
Align timing mark on pulley to "0" on engine timing indicator.
Turn rotor to point between No. 1 and No. 8 spark plug towers on distributor cap on 5.0L engines, between No. 1 and No. 6 on 3.0L and 3.8L between No. 1 and No. 2 on 2.8L and between No. 1 and No. 3 on 1.8L, 2.0L and 2.5L engines.
Install distributor and connect ignition feed wire.
Install distributor cap and spark plug wires.
Check engine timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor