Someone who knows carburetors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
I've got an 83 Cutlass Supreme, all original Buick V6 car, it was running rough and clearly the carburetor had never been rebuilt, as the hardened plugs were still cast in place over tge mixture screws. Having no actual experience with carburetors myself, i figured this would be the perfect one to rebuild myself!!! Overall it didn't seem to go too badly, but now i have it back together and i can get the engine to start and run, however i have a steady stream of fuel pumping out the the bowl vent valve tube on the top of the carb while running. What did i screw up???

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
float level is too high or the needle isn't stopping the flow. If you hung the needle where did you place the hanger on the float?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
float level is too high or the needle isn't stopping the flow. If you hung the needle where did you place the hanger on the float?
I hung it on the flat side on the back, i remember the manual being specific about not hooking it through the little holes that are right there, possible it came off during the airhorn installation?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I hung it on the flat side on the back, i remember the manual being specific about not hooking it through the little holes that are right there, possible it came off during the airhorn installation?

that is the right way to do it. Try this may fix it if its hung up, disconnet the fuel line to the carb and plug the line. Start the car and run it till it runs out of gas and then recconect the fuel line to see if that cures it.

Reactions: 1 user

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
that is the right way to do it. Try this may fix it if its hung up, disconnet the fuel line to the carb and plug the line. Start the car and run it till it runs out of gas and then recconect the fuel line to see if that cures it.
I will try that tomorrow and post an update, thank you for the help!

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
Quick update, i did try disconnecting the fuel feed line to the carb, started it and ran the bowl out of gas. Hooked it back up and same issue remains. I special ordered another rebuild kit from my local AutoZone and will be taking the airhorn off in the next day or 2 to see what exactly i screwed up. Will update soon...

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Quick update, i did try disconnecting the fuel feed line to the carb, started it and ran the bowl out of gas. Hooked it back up and same issue remains. I special ordered another rebuild kit from my local AutoZone and will be taking the airhorn off in the next day or 2 to see what exactly i screwed up. Will update soon...

I always treated the airhorn gasket with some lithium grease so the gasket didn't dry up and I could reuse it. Some guys use lip chap on the gasket

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Rule #1 on any Rochester is to NEVER turn it upside down once it is buttoned up. The float pulls the needle out of the seat too much and sticks open. The old 2GC carbs had a float drop adjustment that prevented the float from opening the needle too much. Q-jets do not have that so you must keep it right side up and bolt it on that way.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 3 users

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
If you are careful. You should be able to get the top off without destroying the gasket. Then you can return that second kit. Also, I have found most auto parts store kits are overpriced junk. There are a number of online speciality companies. I use Quadrajetparts.com but you can pick the one that tickles your fancy when you do your next one.

Reactions: 1 users

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
Ok so i got the airhorn off and you were 100% correct, the float level was sitting just about flush with the top of the fuel bowl. Im not quite sure how it happened but once i pulled the float/needle back out and looked at the float closely, it was obvious that the float had gotten bent upwards. Bought a new float and just to be on the safe side another rebuild kit and started back at square one, rebuilt it all over again. Got it back on the car and outside of a couple of small adjustments, this little 3.8 is running smoother than it probably has since 1983!! Again thank you for all of your help!!

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor