Somewhat New from Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonteCarloCrazy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Hello everyone, my name is Tyrel. I'm a 17 year old out of Michigan. I just recently acquired a 1986 Monte Carlo SS from my note favorite uncle for only $300 :lol:. Since then I pulled the transmission and I'm wondering if I should buy a new one or rebuild the one I have. I'm kind of a do it yourself person but I understand that I have a lack of experience with a task as serious as this but it's the cheapest option I have. The engine is a 350 installed by my uncle some years back. I have started it up and the car runs very strong even after sitting 8 years :shock:. My ultimate goal is to restore this car to its original state but I will be keeping the engine. With the help of other users im hoping I can achieve my goal and I hope that I'll have some good things to show you guys in the end.

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
welcome to a great site

on the transmission , i vote for re-builting your self . buy a book ( not sure which one ) and google is your friend .
think of the pride of doing it your self.

and the number of older guys you will impress with the fact you did it yourself. i know i will be .

oh btw what transmission is in it now ? and be sure to upgrade any common problem areas.

my 2 cents

dave

Dburger

G-Body Guru
Jun 1, 2012
Welcome to the forums

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
85442/86buick said:
welcome to a great site
on the transmission , i vote for re-builting your self . buy a book ( not sure which one ) and google is your friend .
think of the pride of doing it your self.

You will not be successful rebuilding a 200-R4 yourself. I say this because many experienced transmission shops can't do the job correctly. I took mine to a local shop 4 times before getting it right. Input from CK performance and my close supervision finally solved the problem. The 200-R4 requires very specific tolerances and valve body calibration to work correctly. If you want to throw a lot of money and time at it with a willingness to learn then go for it. You will save yourself a lot of money and frustration in the long run by just going with someone like CK performance or Extreme Automatics.

http://www.extremeautomatics.com/transm ... 2004r.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor