(Sort Of) Saved From The Crusher: The Story Of My Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hi there. I've only had the car for a few months, but I figured I'd have a decent story to write up about it. Where do I begin, about 6-8 months ago, I first heard about "The Cutlass." It was when we brought my brother's IROC home on the back of a trailer. The owner of the truck/trailer recalled some scratches on the trailer. "oh yeah, that was from the Cutlass" At this point I became friends with his son, Jacob. Jacob spoke frequently about the Cutlass, about the work put into it, and how it sounds like a V8, so I asked him why he stopped driving it. "Well I was s***faced drunk one night, going home I put my foot on the floor and the car wouldn't stop. So I had to slam it down through second and first(making engine noises and a shifting motion) It sounded pretty cool, and drove 6 miles all the way home. I pulled the plates and parked it behind the shop." That was two years ago, and when I asked Jake why he stopped driving it when the brakes went out, he just said he "got tired of fixin' s*** every other week." So, I talked to his Dad about the car a few times, and he said it needed to go, as the Homeowner's Association was cracking down on having unregistered vehicles. The week before he scrapped a '66 Toronado and the Cutlass was next to go, "it's too damn straight to scrap." We piled into the Roadmaster and drove out to look at it. My mom said "you're sure this is the one? Why do my kids have to want projects?" It was towed home a few days later, and now it sits in the driveway next to my brother's basketcase IROC-Z.
This was the night it was brought home:
And now when I look at the car, I just think "Man, what did I get myself into?"

Attachments

• cutlass.jpg
    cutlass.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 442
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor