Sorting engine compartment wires help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustedknuckles

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2008
Florrisant, Missouri
I'm pretty new here and I figured if there was any place to ask this question, this would be the place. Ok what i have is an 83 elcamino with a 350 swap in the process, My question is What the hell are all those wires under the heat and A/C on the firewall. Assuming computer,hvac? I wont be needing any air,heat,cruise control or computer as this is going to be a street/strip car. I have already pulled all the heating and A/C and was wanting to figure out what this crap is before i seal up a block off plate. Also am i right assuming most of the wiring on the right under the wiper motor plate is the engine wiring besides the obvious lights? Any help will be much appreciated!! By the way, I do not have any of the stock motor parts as none of them were there when i got this truck which might explain why i have no idea what any of this wiring is lol Thanks again guys

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
a pic would help. do the wires feed into a single bundle on the firewall side and go to sensor type plugs on the end? it is probably the ECM harness.

bustedknuckles

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2008
Florrisant, Missouri
If i could download a pic right now i would for some reason i cant. Most of the wires under the heating and A/C do have the sensor type plugs on them which i was assuming was the computer but then there are others that I have no clue i just didnt know if anything was mixed up in the middle of that. Yes it is a bundle of wires that is probally 2" in diameter. thanks for your help I'll get some pics posted as soon as i can

Nightmare388

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2007
North West IL
If I were you I would buy a cheap Chilton book or Haynes Book for your car and check out the wiring diagram before you start cutting or removing wires that you don't know what they are. It can make for a real bad day when you try and run the car later. Take it from experience. You will be glad you know what each wire is for and were they should go. Those books are cheap insurance and are priceless in those situations.

bustedknuckles

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2008
Florrisant, Missouri
thanks nightmare and megaladon6. I have one of the haynes manuals but I am not a wiring guru and can barely make of any of the terms and objects displayed. Wiring is definately one of my faults Just thought maybe someone here has been through this before and could give me a little insight before i loose my mind trying to figure this book out thanks

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
The wires on the passenger side that go thru the firewall into the passenger kick panel are for the computer, you won't need those for your application.

The wires on the drivers side are the power to the engine, lights, etc.

But definately go find a Chiltons with wiring diagrams. It will be very helpful with your project. Good Luck.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
what trans are you running? if it has a lockup torque converter you need to put in the proper controller and maybe a solenoid

bustedknuckles

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2008
Florrisant, Missouri
I'm going to run a turbo 350 orignally came with a 200r4 but i think it just slides in with minimal effort. Thanks guys i appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor