Source for Quick Ratio Boxes? New/Used

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Check out the website for Lares. Theyre a rebuild company. I have two of their boxes. You can order them through rockauto but the core shipping might be high. I bought both of mine at the local advanceauto. Took the cores right back to the store. It was still cheaper then rockauto.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
I'm using the late 70's firebird box, ws6 i think, 2.5 turns lock to lock. Not super impressed actually, I ended up installing a pressure valve shim kit in the pump to firm it up a bit more, but it's still not where I want it.

Quick ratio manual box is in my future I think

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
the way the world's going as far as reman parts being subpar,how can one tell the difference between a closer ratio box over just another box with a four bolt lid?minus putting it in the car and counting lock to lock?you punch in the correct criteria on xyz web page/parts person @the part store-check out but how does one know they're getting that oh so desirable box when everything's remand these days and the source of these remands could be questionable ratio.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
the way the world's going as far as reman parts being subpar,how can one tell the difference between a closer ratio box over just another box with a four bolt lid?minus putting it in the car and counting lock to lock?you punch in the correct criteria on xyz web page/parts person @the part store-check out but how does one know they're getting that oh so desirable box when everything's remand these days and the source of these remands could be questionable ratio.

You're exactly right. Even a casting number doesn't mean a thing if it's been rebuilt. I know mine is the correct-ish box, but only because I'm right around that 2.5 turns lock to lock. Autoline reman carbs are the worst. I have never seen one with the proper jets, rods OR rod hangers. They just throw in whatever is handy.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
See post #24. More money but you get assurance and quality.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i agree 100%,i got mine from gm many years ago but this question has come up a few times and i've always questioned the validity of a reman'd box and the chance of getting burned by one.

Clarkwb100

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 7, 2019
Sugar Land, Texas
Replaced all body mounts, transmission mount, front sway bar, top & bottom arm bushings with polyurethane. Upper & lower ball joints, tie rod ends replaced and added rear sway bar. Did not do rag joint (no apparent reason) or the steering box. Handling is terrific!

One overlooked suspension piece is the tires themselves, correct pressure on the standard tires, max size or changing the diameter can have a tremendous effect on the handling.

Also, a smaller diameter steering wheel does effect the handling but sure gives the driver a different feel!

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Website is down at the moment. Says HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found. So I guess no amount of money works if you can't get to them.

Maybe they're updating stuff. Or they were hacked. Hmmm. Will try again later.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
I used the Napa app and under 1984 Cutlass it had as choices with Hurst package ( same part number as Monte ss) or except Hurst package . Of course I ordered with Hurst package and picked it up today.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor