SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE FORD EXPLORER 8.8" SWAP KIT

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
will this work with stock or other after market control arms?
You don't want to use stock control arms. But yes, stock and aftermarket lower arms will work. You will need our application specific upper control arms or build you own.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
You should be able to put this swap kit together for about $750-$800,depending on your J-yard pricing, and your tax % rate.
- The 8.8" rear axle assembly is approximately $110ish ( if you wait for a 50% off sale then cut that in half, Houston-area yards usually have theses sales about 4-5 times a year, usually on Holiday weekends) depending on your J-yard.
- Southside truss/bracket swap kit $600
- New axle seals, bearings, fluid, and paint $50

You will have a very strong axle assembly that is a bolt-in, and adjustable. IIRC, the 8.8 is about 25lbs. lighter than a 9". I have personally put 800 HP w/ a trans brake to it.

Reactions: Macguyver

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If a person were to fab their own tailpipes a 4" would go in there.
I would also like to see some in car pics with exhaust considering I barely had enough room with my 9" to make my 4" tail pipes, that truss just seems like it would add more clearance issues than my set up.

IMG_0015.jpg

Macguyver

GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
IMG957195.jpg IMG957194.1.jpg IMG957198.jpg

Macguyver

GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
A happy customer sent us a pic of his swap done at home. Explorer swap kit and frame notch. He's on a 295 but has room for a 325 next year.

Attachments

• photo0.jpg
    photo0.jpg
    663.3 KB · Views: 351

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would still like to see a Gbody with large tailpipes and your 8.8 set up.

Reactions: Macguyver

Macguyver

GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
I would still like to see a Gbody with large tailpipes and your 8.8 set up.

This is the best I could come up with around here. As we are often told, we are "old guys" and don't live vicariously through our phones. That is 2.5" and PLENTY of room for larger.

Attachments

• 20180822_150229.jpg
    20180822_150229.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 293

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
This is the best I could come up with around here. As we are often told, we are "old guys" and don't live vicariously through our phones. That is 2.5" and PLENTY of room for larger.
I am looking more for a Gbody sitting on a lift with the weight of the car on the suspension that is where you lose all of your clearance.
When I did my mock ups building my 4" tailpipes I had to work around what room was available based on full suspension travel and a lowered ride height and I will say I probably have less than a 1/2" from everything in there.
I used 4" dryer ductwork to do my initial mock ups just to see if it would even fit. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Rktpwrd