Spare tire well delete...Yea or Nay

Status
Not open for further replies.

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
So I recently got the rear frame repair kit for my 86 Grand Prix and will be planning a day to dig into that. While I'm in there, I need to drop the gas tank and patch a small hole in the trunk pan. I heard some one make mention of a spare tire delete. So I'm thinking of doing one my self while I'm there and have everything taken apart. My question is; are there any real benefits? I know I'll save some weight from just removing the spare and jack so is the well weight menial?
I also don't care about loosing that 14" spare, I'm running much bigger tires anyway. So, Worth it or not?

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
I use that spot to keep a bag of spare tools/parts and jumper cables.....

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I don't see the benefit of removing it, I made good use of the space since I have my trunk mount battery in the bottom of the tire well and I also have my main fuel pump mounted to it on the outside of it coming off my fuel cell.
I also have an accessory fuse panel mounted to it that runs my main fuel pump and my nitrous fuel pump and bottle heater.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you are worried about the weight the G bodies are front end heavy. I cut the middle part of the front bumper on my GP and moved the battery to the trunk to get rid of some of the front end weight and to give it a different look. I was surprised how much the part of the bumper with it's reinforcement weighed. I still have the donut spare and a small floor jack just in case...
P1010310.JPG

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Yea removing 10 lbs of metal to replace it with 5 doesn't really seem worth it. I'd take the spare and all that crap out and utilize the space for something beneficial. I've always used them for a second battery.

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Yeah, I just find that the well is a waste of space, especially if I pull the spare out. I like the idea of a completely flat trunk. Maybe I'll just make a cover for it...

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I've thought of doing this so i can use a larger fuel tank from an lt1 caprice that i have laying around. more range and electric fuel pump for future fuel injection.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I've thought of doing this so i can use a larger fuel tank from an lt1 caprice that i have laying around. more range and electric fuel pump for future fuel injection.

remember a gallon of gas weighs a little more than 6 lbs and that adds up fast...the G body tank is a little more than 100 lbs filled

• Dislike

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I know if you're using a Schwartz chassis, http://www.schwartzperformance.com/1978-1988-g-body-monte-carlo-chassis/ you have to delete the spare tire well for clearance. Other than something like that, I can't think of a good reason to remove it. Plus it'll be some work to do right.

Ok, so there's a good reason to remove it.

I think the Caprice tank is 22 gallons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor