Spark plug wire retainer bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bailey28

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2017
I am installing stock length plug wires on my '84 Elco and intend to run them in the stock location..... I need to find the correct plug wire bracket (retainer) that keeps the wires away from the stock exhaust manifold on the driver's side. The car did not have this retainer when I bought it. The great internet has been no help in identifying the correct part.

The wires that go to 1,3, and 5 run from the distributor down behind the block then under the exhaust manifold at the rear. They then pass in between the exhaust manfold outlet and the block on their way forward to each cylinder. There is a 1/4x20 threaded hole on the block right at where the manifold outlet is for this retainer bracket.

Ebay turned up plenty of generic stuff but nothing specific to the 78-87 year cars. I would assume that any car with a 305 in it would have this bracket. Perhaps if someone posted a photo of it I could fab one up, or if anyone knows the part number that would be a great help.

Bailey28

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2017
I would think the retainer includes the above parts along with a bracket that attaches to the block.
I found a metal bracket that fits 80's Corvettes but I dont know if their plug wires ran the same way, and if the Corvette bracket attaches to the oil pan rail.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
This is what your looking for. First pic goes behind left cylinder head on bell housing. Second goes on side of block.
I love how these route the wires out of sight and away from the manifolds. These will also work on the passenger side if you buy a second set of wires. 20200223_090520.jpg 20200223_090554.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
When I bought my crate motor GM includes a really nice (and expensive) set of retainers. Only problem is they fit aluminum heads not cast. I wound up going to the local junkyard and picked brackets off every centerbolt set of heads that I could get to so I could come up with a solution. Still havent installed them but I got a few off of late model GM vans that look like they might work well.
It looks like I might have to trim the bottom of the brackets under the bolt holes due to them hitting the header flange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor