Speaker Adapters What The Heck ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
So I buy a set of speaker adapters for my 81 from Mikes Montes. They look like theyre made well. Ive heard of the company that makes them.
I put the 6x9 on the adapter and hold it up to the hole and it looks fine.
Then I try to hook this thing into the slots that are in the metal. They dont line up at all. One sides longer than the other. What the heck am I doing wrong ? Am I not seeing something simple ? Is it the wrong adapter ?
Do you have to modify this ?

IMG_2232 (002).JPG

IMG_2231 (002).JPG

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Maybe post a top and bottom picture of the adapter you bought.
What size is the factory speaker you removed?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Maybe post a top and bottom picture of the adapter you bought.
What size is the factory speaker you removed?

The speakers were cheesey 6x9s that looked like they were out of another OEM application. Real thin magnets and a cloth covering over the actual speaker. It looked like the previous owner stuck them in using the same aluminum hold down as you would find with a 4x10.
The adapters are from Mikes. This is what they look like.

http://www.mikesmontes.com/6x9-Speaker-Adapters--Set-of-2-_p_3115.html

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Your deck does not look like it originally had 4 x 10 speakers, can you fit a 6 x 9 up there without an adapter?

I didnt know they came with other size speakers. I didnt even think about that. The only issue I might have it the package shelf. Its done in the same cloth as the seats and Im not sure how it gets taken out. I'll go back out there and check that out. Told you Im probably not seeing something simple. LOL

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Your deck does not look like it originally had 4 x 10 speakers, can you fit a 6 x 9 up there without an adapter?
""
Well it looks like Ive had another "Duh" moment. It took me a little while to get back out there because I had to do a Home Dumpo run for a couple of 8' bulbs but youre correct. The deck had 6x9 speakers. Now I have to pull the back seat to get the package shelf out. I just hope it comes out easy. I cant get my fingers in there to put in 4 screws. Thats tomorrow afternoons project.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
""
Well it looks like Ive had another "Duh" moment. It took me a little while to get back out there because I had to do a Home Dumpo run for a couple of 8' bulbs but youre correct. The deck had 6x9 speakers. Now I have to pull the back seat to get the package shelf out. I just hope it comes out easy. I cant get my fingers in there to put in 4 screws. Thats tomorrow afternoons project.
That's good news since IMO the adapters suck anyways, I always notch the rear deck for clearance rather than use an adapter on Gbody cars that came with 4 x 10's.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The cars that used 4x10's are 37, 47 coupes, 69 sedans (Monte & G.P., Cutalss Supreme/Calais & Regal, all '81 up sedans). Everything else has big enough rear shelves to fit 6x9's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor