speaker installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys.

I installed my alpine in my GP over the summer, and want to do speakers next. I did the speakers in my old Cadillac. alot of old GM's kinda seem the be the same. Anyone have any walkthroughs on how to do this? words or pics work. Links even.

Thanks!!

Also, I'm just keeping the stock 3.5 size up front, but should I keep the 4x10's in the back, or convert to 6x9's? How easy is the conversion?

Furtrader

Master Mechanic
Jan 5, 2006
Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
I looked through your CarDomain site.
Looks like you'd like to upgrade your interior eventually.
Here is a webpage of a 1980 Cutlass with 1995 Pontiac GP seats.
If they fit in an A body Cutlass,they will fit in a G body GP.
http://www.s93165312.onlinehome.us/olds/oldsinside.html
And no,it's not my '80 Cutlass,nor my website.Everytime I post it for info,they ask me a ton of questions.
I posted it for you to refer to for ideas.
As for speakers,I changed mine to Audiobahn 3.5" up front and 4x10 in back.I WILL be changing them again.Not happy at all with Audiobahn speakers.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Actually, I'm alright with my interior (seats at least). I hated the bench at first, but actually kinda like it now. I'm converting to a floor shifter (Hurst) infront of the bench seat (like in the old Nova's and stuff) to keep the classic vibe going. Plus, the backseat is spotless.

Having that said, I asked a kid at my work awhile back about Audiobahns and he told me the same thing. I was kinda surprised. I thought they were good. Oh well. lol. I was gonna get those, then I heard that. Then I figured I'd go Sony because they sound pretty good for pretty cheap. But on Crutchfield they have Blaupunkt ones pretty cheap now. I can get a pair of 3.5's and a pair of 6x9's for like 60 bucks. And they're rated as 5 stars. I'm going to this flea market tomorrow that has all sorts of new speakers at (sounds fishy to me) lol. But if I don't see anything incredible there, I think I'm going for the Blaupunkt ones. As long as I can do that 6x9 mod for the back. anyone have any experience with that yet? I'm assuming so...

snowman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 3, 2007
iowa
one thin i have noticed about the rear deckes of g-bodys is that most are not wide enough to fit a 6x9 and in most cases rear speakers are a waste, but since you are only allowed a 3.5" factory front you are limited. unless you want to by some qlogic kick panels or make your own (not to hard, fiberglass) I have only owned 2 kinds or 3.5" speakers eclipse, and kicker, and i liked my eclipse for what they were, your definately goin to need a sub or something IMO. the car stereo end of cars is where i excell, not so much in other areas haha, but if you want any kind of advice on brands to go with or so forth hit me up, i'll help with what i can.

c_unit productions

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2007
florida
well 4x10's r the easiest replacement yes but you can put 6x9's on the back dash from inside the car. i done this to mine first monte backin the day. take the bracket that holds the 4x10 and get a piece of clothes-hanger and extend the bracket. on the other hand, i do a lot of stereos in cars not just stock replacements, lots of custom sets up with fiberglss. anyways u can take the back dash out and get a piece of wood and trace it out and then put the 6x9's on there and trace them out so u see how wide to make it. but u'll have to cut a little metal from the back dash. put some carpet on it and put it in and the seat will go back in place with a little force. thats a more complicated way but it will work. ive got 4- 6x9's on my back dash now and it sounds like 2 - 12's in the trunk. they give ALOT of sound on the back dash.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I just got a mag that goes through an install on a cutlass. I'll have to see if I can find it. They made pods for the doors to hod 61/4 or 51/4 cant remember. but two in each door and a tweet. It looked good finished and it was done in a way you could do it a home in tyhe driveway.

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
6x9 adapters

I've had good luck with a set of plastic adapters. No modifications at all. I put a bead of silicone where need to help seal the assembly for better sound. Depending on the type of trunk mechanism, you may have clearance issues. I have a "torsion" set-up in my '87 442 and had to use a Pioneer 3-way. These sound really good, especially with a solid amp and a good deck.

Another tip I have found, is that a fresh trunk seal will do wonders for the acoustics!!! Gives a nice and tight sound from country to hip-hop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor