Speaker upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
Hey guys I was looking to upgrade my speakers. Originally I just figured swap out the crappy stock 4x10's for a nice set of 6x9's and maybe find a place for some 4 inch mid range speakers.
But then i ran into a problem. I'm planning on keeping my AcDelco 8track player which has been outfitted with an aux jack. Yes I do occasionally play 8 tracks and like the OEM look. Well those old ac delco radios were all 10 ohm impedance while most car speakers are now 4 ohm. It will probably destroy my OEM 8 track radio.
What kind of solutions are out there?

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
What 6x9's were you gonna go with? I've been doing some looking so that I can get ready to do my winter interior work, I am leaning towards going Hertz Mille Pro setup I am hoping that I will be happy enough with the sounds that I won't have to do subs.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I am hoping that I will be happy enough with the sounds that I won't have to do subs.
It's all in the mounting. If you do an MDF package tray and secure the speakers to that, it should sound great. There are 2 major rules to making speakers sound great: 1- seal the front of the speaker from the rear. Sound comes off both sides of the cone (really just vibrations in the air), and if those sound waves come in contact, they can cancel each other out (standing waves). This includes the entire mounting surface from the listening area. 2- use the "deadest" mounting surface possible. It should make a solid "thud" when you knock on it (sheetmetal doesn't).

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
So cut out the package tray or lay MDF on top of it? The reason I started working on this is I bought and made an LED third brake light setup so I have to work that into the mix

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
So cut out the package tray or lay MDF on top of it?
yes. :mrgreen: Really, it all depends on what you want to do. I don't think 6x9s will fit from the top, and I don't know if you can get a piece of 3/4 MDF in above the trunk bars with the speakers. Of course, if you pull the torsion bars and put gas struts in, your possibilities increase greatly.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
yes. :mrgreen: Really, it all depends on what you want to do. I don't think 6x9s will fit from the top, and I don't know if you can get a piece of 3/4 MDF in above the trunk bars with the speakers. Of course, if you pull the torsion bars and put gas struts in, your possibilities increase greatly.
Have you ever installed gas struts for the trunk lid in a g-body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor