specifics on knuckles

Status
Not open for further replies.

csstrux

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2017
OK. I Thought I had a set of loaded knuckles for the Blazer brake Upgrade, but when I got the parts, they were standard S10 truck items. This is for a project that is now better than half way across the country, and I am in need of that specific car as a driver. I comitted to a very nice roller and my current daily finally bit the bullet. I pulled the LQ4 (Will be built for the new project) for the factory 307 and am returning the car to a mostly stock setup, but would still like better braking and handling. I had been doing a bit of interchange poking, and have been left with the impression that 2WD knuckles and 4WD knuckles interchangeable, difference being the bearings having an open back to accommodate the shaft on a 4WD unit. I have not had time yet to confirm it in a boneyard, and do not want to be barking up the wrong tree trying to source incorrect parts long distance again. I thought I would bring this up to those who have already been down this road. What are the ramifications of going 4WD knuckles if any, and swapping out a 2WD bearing? Maybe welding a cover over the back? I saw something about a "hi wide option", so placement and ride height? Will this work, or am I reading what I want to see into some of these parts interchange "manuals" on the net? Any thoughts are appreciated.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Do not use 4wd bearings in a 2wd application, the axle stub holds the two halves together, without that you have half the hub going bye bye with the wheel and rotor still attached.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor