Speedo Cable removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
I have a 200 4R trans and the speedo cable broke, or at least I think so. I was told that I could disconnect fro the tran and spin it to see it what happens and maybe it's not the cable.So.... how do I get the cable out of the trans? Like like it just unscrews but I couldn't get it out. Is there a trick to getting it out and back in? Its on the driver side of the car and very easy to access. Thanks in advance.

slow 442

Greasemonkey
Jan 16, 2014
It should just unscrew and pull straight out. The cluster end has a clip you must press to disconnect .

Reactions: 1 user

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
Lefty loosey

Use a small pair of curved jaw channel locks if you cannot get a good grip by hand.

You will be turning the serrated collar as pictured below. It will spin without detaching from the cable itself.

51U9hddrBXL._AC_SL1000_~2.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I've had a couple fail that balled up right at the trans end and made them hard to remove.

As posted above, should pull out once collar is loosened...unless it's wadded up.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
That's what I thought but ... I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for the responses.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
That's what I thought but ... I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for the responses.
Try taking the whole adaptor out. One small bolt and a steel tab. Will slide right out just has an O ring holding it in after you remove the mounting tab. Then you can turn the gear its self. Be gentle it should turn easily.

If it is really jacked up you can pull the whole cable and clamp the speedometer gear adaptor in a padded vice and proceed from there.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Try taking the whole adaptor out. One small bolt and a steel tab. Will slide right out just has an O ring holding it in after you remove the mounting tab. Then you can turn the gear its self. Be gentle it should turn easily.

If it is really jacked up you can pull the whole cable and clamp the speedometer gear adaptor in a padded vice and proceed from there.
Put a drain pan under it, you will lose some fluid even with only the driver side raised...more it it's level

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor