Speedo Cable retrofit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
Part of the fun of having my transmission hang onto the 3.8 engine I was removing is that I detached the speedo cable. My plan all along was to d/c the cruise controller. Done! There is one cable from the trans to the controller; and another out of the controller to the speedo. Can anyone tell me if there is a single speedo cable with the correct two ends to eliminate the 2nd cable and controller altogether? I see the universal ones and I have had lousy success making them work over the years. I don't have the patience or proper tool to cut them so it gets buggered up so that they do not fit the ends. Is there a correct length and finally, is there some trick to d/c ing the speedo cable....like push me, pull you, twist, tug, stand on your head, do a pirouette, tap your forehead and click your heels together?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Chuck,
When I eliminated my cruise control unit and replaced the transducer and two cables with a one piece cable. I used part # ATP 03160. It could be a little shorter, but I coiled it up under the transmission cross member.
I guess there is universal type cables that can be cut to size, but they're a bit pricey compared to your typical replacement cable.

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
Chuck,
When I eliminated my cruise control unit and replaced the transducer and two cables with a one piece cable. I used part # ATP 03160. It could be a little shorter, but I coiled it up under the transmission cross member.
I guess there is universal type cables that can be cut to size, but they're a bit pricey compared to your typical replacement cable.

Thank you! I have not looked, but is the speedo end the pinch clip vice threaded?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thank you! I have not looked, but is the speedo end the pinch clip vice threaded?
No, it's not. It slips on (at the speedo) and has a small lock tab.

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
Haha, I believe pinch clip and lock tab to be the same piece...I never know the right name, but the thing is it is not threaded as in the 70's. Thanks for the info! You know the project is winding down when the parts ordered are heater valve, heater core, and speedo cable

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Haha, I believe pinch clip and lock tab to be the same piece...I never know the right name, but the thing is it is not threaded as in the 70's. Thanks for the info! You know the project is winding down when the parts ordered are heater valve, heater core, and speedo cable
Chuck,
After reading what you initially referred to as a pinch clip....of course, we both meant the same thing....:giggle:
Glad to hear that the project is winding down. It's a good feeling when you can see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel....(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor