Speedo gage issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
The round 85 mph speedometer in my 81 Malibu works but is way off, (actual 70 mph shows 25 mph on the gage). Plus the needle is broke in half. The trans is a 400 turbo with 3:73 rear end. I’m not too fond of the 85 mph gage but I really do not want to get into an expensive repair.
Any suggestions?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
As for speedo to be at the correct/near correct road speed you have two options. Either match the in transmission drive & driven gears in the tail housing to a ratio that works with your 3.73's & the tire height (stock was 26" +/-.05") or get a gear reduction type box that goes on between the speedo cable & the speedo gear on the tail housing. As for replacing the speedo itself you might want to put an ad up in the wanted section for one but the '80-'85 graphics 120 units are pricey, go for a complete '87-'88 set ('86 is the same but with a 85 unit) & replace the original gauges (tach won't have a clock.) Another route is to get an overlay kit that will convert the speedo to the 120 you want but you'll need the reduction box or send out a good 85 unit to get recalibrated to 120.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
Thank you. Do any of the aftermarket companies sell a replacement needle?
When my gages were not working I purchased a replacement circuit sheet. Could that have anything to do with the speedo being wacko?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I don't know of any replacement needles out there but there might be some one here who might have one & know how to remove/replace it.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor