Speedometer Cable 1986 Cutlass Supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emhendo

Apprentice
May 20, 2019
Chicago Soufsidee
I pulled the speedometer cable out of my Cutty, but it comes in two parts. (Pictured below)
b130FzM.jpg

It's like it's two cables that connect together... I don't understand why it's like this, and I can't even find the cable that goes into the transmission online... Hell, I'm not even sure what the cable is called (That goes directly into the trans and attaches to the speedometer cable)

What is this part called and where can I find it? (online or store)

Before I pulled it from the trans
8BkLs88.jpg

After I pulled it from the trans.
hLxsOYq.jpg

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You don't quite have 25 posts yet, but...since you royally have things messed up, I'll try and help before it gets worse.

That little "dog dlck" with a gear on the end that you pulled out of the transmission was unnecessary. You should have just unscrewed the cable from the transmission and left the bolt and retainer alone. You can put it back in. That only goes for the one at the transmission. Don't take the one under the brake booster or any others apart (may be one about a foot from the speedo gear). No need.

Even though this type is assembled in pieces, you can remove it in one piece. The replacement will likely be one piece.

The factory stuff was built with different parts than the service parts you got over the counter. Service parts mostly went to a one piece design soon after the original parts were used up.

What is the year, transmission and engine, etc. that you have? I can get you the right part number to seek.

Emhendo

Apprentice
May 20, 2019
Chicago Soufsidee
The part with the gear on it stays in the trans. That's your driven gear and housing for your speedo. The cap with the grooves just unscrews from it.

https://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/speedometer-cable

Hutch

Thanks for the information so far...

So there is no way I can replace the whole cable? I cannot detach the the first cable from the transmission cable. I had to take the whole cable out. Would you know how to separate the cable from the cable that runs into the transmission?

I saw a guy trade the two part cable, for a whole cable that runs from the trans all the way back into the firewall/speedometer/cluster.

I also just purchased CA-3009 for my vehicle... I hope it's not the wrong one. I didn't know exactly which one I needed.

Emhendo

Apprentice
May 20, 2019
Chicago Soufsidee
You don't quite have 25 posts yet, but...since you royally have things messed up, I'll try and help before it gets worse.

That little "dog dlck" with a gear on the end that you pulled out of the transmission was unnecessary. You should have just unscrewed the cable from the transmission and left the bolt and retainer alone. You can put it back in. That only goes for the one at the transmission. Don't take the one under the brake booster or any others apart (may be one about a foot from the speedo gear). No need.

Even though this type is assembled in pieces, you can remove it in one piece. The replacement will likely be one piece.

The factory stuff was built with different parts than the service parts you got over the counter. Service parts mostly went to a one piece design soon after the original parts were used up.

What is the year, transmission and engine, etc. that you have? I can get you the right part number to seek.

What is that cable called that you said I did not have to pull out?

Because I can't find it online and I would like to replace the whole (both) cable.

I only took it out from the transmission because I could not unscrew it. I have used a wrench, pliers, vice grip.... It just wouldn't unscrew. So I took the whole thing from the trans and told myself I will replace it.

I have a 1986 Cutlass. I also believe I have a TH350 transmission. I also believe that is a 307 engine, it is a V8. I am going with the most common Cutlass Supreme engine.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
CA3009 is only 41" long. It will never reach the whole way.

Put the speedo gear and bullet back into the transmission and put in the retainer and bolt and tighten it down. You can then take a pair of channel locks and lightly grab the outer ring by the speedo cable and turn to the left and it should simply screw out and then you can pull the cable out of the bullet.

Oh, I just read you already tried that. Dang dude. That's rough.

Do you have the Overdrive transmission (200-4R) or the 3 speed transmission? The 350 wouldn't be factory. It does NOT look like a 200-4R bullet though.

Can you identify your transmission pan shape from the picture below? That can help us help you.

transmission-pans-id-1.jpg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
OMG. I just noticed you have what appears to be an ALUMINUM speedo gear bullet. Those were used on some manual transmission and TH350 applications in early applications of said bullet use. Transmission guys always said to go with the later steel bullets because the aluminum ones wore out quicker, so it's just as well you would change out your speedo gear anyway. You SHOULD be able to pull the plastic gear out of the end of the bullet when you replace it. Or get the same number of teeth if you get a new one. You should be able to get a bullet replacement for that just about anywhere you look at transmission parts.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Measure your old cable the entire length (except for the bullet). Let us know what it is and we can get you a close equivalent.

Emhendo

Apprentice
May 20, 2019
Chicago Soufsidee
CA3009 is only 41" long. It will never reach the whole way.

Put the speedo gear and bullet back into the transmission and put in the retainer and bolt and tighten it down. You can then take a pair of channel locks and lightly grab the outer ring by the speedo cable and turn to the left and it should simply screw out and then you can pull the cable out of the bullet.

Oh, I just read you already tried that. Dang dude. That's rough.

Do you have the Overdrive transmission (200-4R) or the 3 speed transmission? The 350 wouldn't be factory. It does NOT look like a 200-4R bullet though.

Can you identify your transmission pan shape from the picture below? That can help us help you.

transmission-pans-id-1.jpg

I can't find out what the shape is... I don't know how I'ma get up under there and see the whole shape.

Do you know what the second half of the cable is called? I need to know so I can purchase it. The cable won't unscrew from either end.. Even the "dog dick" end... This is ****in sucks and is super frustrating.

This guy traded his old cable for one whole cable that connects from the trans back into the firewall. The scene is @ 8:50

Emhendo

Apprentice
May 20, 2019
Chicago Soufsidee
Measure your old cable the entire length (except for the bullet). Let us know what it is and we can get you a close equivalent.
So I now understand that the cable is connected to a "bullet", and the bullet holds the plastic gear.

The bullet will not disconnect from the cable..

If you can just tell me where I can find a single cable and the bullet, it would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor