Speedometer drive gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket350olds

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2020
Is it possible to remove the speedometer drive gear through the tail housing of a th200c or does the trans need to be pulled and tailshaft removed?
Having issues with speedometer not working then it starts working after about 10 to 15 miles

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
If you are asking about the drive gear that mounts on the output shaft, sorry to say but the trans will have to be removed and completely disassembled. The tail housing is not removable.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
You sure its not a bad cable? Pull the cable out and check it out, if it is ok (no frays) grease it with speedo lube and reinstall. Most jumpy speedometers are just asking for lube!

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
That sounds like a dying cable. Mine did the same and stopped working altogether. I pulled the cable and it actually had snapped.

Rocket350olds

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2020
The cable seems fine but when i put a driver bit in the speedo housing and turn the driven gear it skips on the drive gear its not intermeshing correctly the gears look good so im not sure if its the plastic housing not being in there straight or whats going on

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Speedo Housing? On the tail shaft of the trans or the instrument cluster? Lost you with the gears look good. How were you able to determine this as the only visible thing is the female "square" where the cable goes in at both ends. Pictures?

Rocket350olds

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2020
Plastic housing on tailshaft of trans not sure if its out of alignment since i replaced that and the driven gear it hasnt worked right since

Rocket350olds

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2020
Gears are not meshing completely ive tried 2 different plastic housings and i tried the original driven gear and still isnt working correctly

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Gears are not meshing completely ive tried 2 different plastic housings and i tried the original driven gear and still isnt working correctly
Never worked with a 200c but it sounds like the same housing as a 350c, 700R4 type housing. There are two sizes of housings one for 34 - 39 teeth and one for 40 - 45 teeth. There is more offset on the latter one for the bigger gears and the gears will not mesh when using the smaller gears.

How many teeth is the gear? can you post pics of the gear housing?

The aluminum gear housing has 34 35 36 37 etc. (40 to 45 on the large one) randomly cast into it. Don't think the plastic one had any markings to differentiate the two different sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor