speedometer gear help on my new th350

Status
Not open for further replies.

hedz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 16, 2013
once you pop off the tailshaft of my new transmission the th350, you will see the speedo gear coming out of the bullet with the o ring on it going into the driverside of the transmission. then you will notice another plastic gear that the speedo gear goes into. isn't this called the running gear?

i need the correct plastic gears to make my speedometer work. can any of you point me to a product to buy these in order to work on my vehicle? i have a 1979 monte carlo with stock tires, stock rear end, and stock 305 sbc.

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC

hedz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 16, 2013
86 Grand prix said:
The gear on the shaft is the drive gear, the long gear in the bullet is the driven. You can find the gear you need here. You need your exact rear gear ratio and tire height. I actually bought my gears on ebay.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/speed ... ____va.htm

thank you sir. i ordered a 10 tooth shaft gear. using original driven gear. also ordered a speedo gear clip and the retainer clip that keeps the bullet in. what a great site! and i realized i had to update my order after placing the order late last night. i called at 8am this morning. their shop is on central time. they were able to update my order and add the items i needed before shipping. great customer service!!

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
You must have already been close. Mine was 30MPH off. I had to change both gears and the gear housing.

hedz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 16, 2013
86 Grand prix said:
You must have already been close. Mine was 30MPH off. I had to change both gears and the gear housing.

i'm up and running. my speedometer is 5mph off once i get over 25mph. lame. i'll have to address this again later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor