Speedometer/odometer cable for 1979 Cutlass Supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

79QueenB

n00b
May 17, 2017
How do I go about changing the speedometer/odometer cable on my '79 Cutlass Supreme Brougham? Do I need any special tools? I changed out the cruise control module and it didn't fix the problem. The problem is that the speedometer, odometer and cruise control do not work. Any advice would be appreciated.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
No introduction? We usually appreciate an intro from new members before firing off questions. I don't think that's too much to ask for.
...and welcome aboard.

79QueenB

n00b
May 17, 2017
I'm sorry, you are right, I should have introduced myself first. I am Brandi from Topeka Kansas! I am trying to do my own work on my car but really have no experience doing so. I bought my 1979 Cutlass Supreme Brougham from my stepdad. His dad was the original owner and bought it brand new from a dealer in Texas. I love my car and want to keep it clean and in working condition. I'll have to post photos later of the interior. I've never seen anything like it before.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Brandi,
Welcome aboard. I did not mean to come off abruptly, it's just that I see many new members join up and the first thing they do is ask questions about rectifying a problem before even telling us what they're working on, etc....then you never see them post again.

First off, I commend you for wanting to do the repair on the car yourself.
You're in good company here, and there's many good people who are more than willing to help.

To access your speedo cable...I'm assuming the speedometer end. You'll need to remove the plastic bezel around the gauge cluster, them unscrew the small self tapping screws that hold the assembly in place. Once everything is loosened up, pull the gauge cluster back...don't force it if it doesn't come out easy. It will need to be pulled out far enough to be able to get your hand behind it to unsnap the clip holding the cable to the back of the speedometer.
I'm sure other guys more familiar with an Olds cluster configuration will chime in.
Again, I'm assuming the problem is at the speedometer end.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

79QueenB

n00b
May 17, 2017
Brandi,
Welcome aboard. I did not mean to come off abruptly, it's just that I see many new members join up and the first thing they do is ask questions about rectifying a problem before even telling us what they're working on, etc....then you never see them post again.

First off, I commend you for wanting to do the repair on the car yourself.
You're in good company here, and there's many good people who are more than willing to help.

I understand. I'm new to this world of forums but thought this would be a good group to join.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You have joined one of the best G-body forums out there.
We'd love to see pics of your Cutlass...it sounds like it's in nice shape, plus you know the owner history of it. It's cool owning a car that has been in the family.

Reactions: 1 users

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Welcome to the forum!! As Longroof79 (Jack) said there has been an increasing number of people who have the time to ask questions but dont have the courtesy to introduce themselves, its only proper.. With that said, the speedo cable runs from the transmission to the cruise control (if equipped) then to your speedometer. I never used cruise so i eliminated it and ran a longer cable from the transmission directly to the speedo. There must be a disconnect between the transmission to the cruise unit or from the cruise unit to the speedometer in the cluster. To get to the cable in the back of the gauge, its pretty straight forward as Jack described in his earlier post. Welcome again and you will find a wealth of information here!

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Welcome to the site from Houston. An idea for you is to disconnect the speedometer cable from the transmission. It just screws on like a top on a plastic soda bottle. After you unscrew it, you can pull the end of the cable out of the speedometer drive 'bullet' on the side of the transmission. You can then chuck the end of the cable in a drill and spin the cable at a moderate speed with the drill while watching the speedometer needle for movement. Of course the car will have to be jacked up and safely supported on safety stands to do this. Try that and report back. If the speedometer responds then the problem is with the speedometer drive gears in the transmission (not as bad as it sounds). If not, then disconnect the other end of the cable at the cruise control transducer on the driver's side inner fender. Spin the cable with the drill (still connected to the cable at the transmission end) and watch for movement at the other end. Continue this process until you find where break in the system is. Report back and ask questions if you have any. We are glad to help.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Guys, I couldn't have said it better myself. It's best to diagnose the problem in stages before having to take things apart further.
Hope all the good advice helps you, Brandi.

Do let us know how it's progressing and what conclusions you've come to.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Welcome from dirty Jersey looks a little like the 79 I gave my daughter that I drove 20+ years ago if you need help this forum is definitely the place

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor