speedway motors upper a arms on street?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
I'm rebuilding my front end, doing the blazer break upgrade and lowering my car with 2" umi drop springs, and running a .5in tall upper ball joint.

I'd like to replace my factory a arms but I don't want to spend the $$$ on the expensive tubular uppers. Is anyone running speedway motors tubular upper a arms with the steel bushings on the street? I might down the road run my tall upper bj with a tall lower bj also would they work with this upper as far as alignment goes?

I don't drive the car a lot maybe 500 miles a year. I want to make sure they will be able to align it well. thanks

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/GM-Me...pper-Control-Arms-Steel-Cross-Shaft,5584.html

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
NO! These are for dirt track cars ONLY. Notice how the right and left are different by half an inch in the description. That's to allow them to turn easier and stay turned drifting around the dirt. They will not work at all and you will never get them aligned. If you are concerned with your arms, just get new stamped ones. Tubulars aren't worth it if you don't drive it that much. Steel bushings are track only.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
There isn't even an actual bushing. It's metal on metal that is greasable. Do NOT get these.

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
I've read on the forum a lot of people have success with them on the street as long as you grease them often. They also said to purchase 2 right 8" a arms and don't order the two different sizes. I know it probably is not optimal, but I drive the car under 500 miles a year. However, I want to make sure that I don't have any alignment issues.

Reactions: 1 user

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
That's definitely for track use. That being said, If you want your car to handle like a track car on the street go ahead. If a robust ride is what you want more power to ya. Wondering how much more different would the car feel with these. Compared to tubular/poly arms.

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
my stock control arm bushings are shot. I was looking for an affordable upgrade over the stock arms since I'm replacing everything else. I don't drive the car a lot so if i experience a slightly harsher ride I'm ok with that. I'm more concerned with making sure i can get everything aligned correctly.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Then get new bushings. It's cheaper, and you'd be surprised how well these cars actually handle with just new rubber parts. I found these on the gbody parts website. They are cheap, tubular, and are greasable and are both the same size and are more street oriented if you are dead set on modernizing the suspension on a car you will hardly ever drive.
http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=134

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For my Regal project I bought new Dorman stock replacement upper control arms for under $100 for both and they came ready to install with bushings and ball joints, I went this route just to get the car road worthy, I rebuilt the entire front end and had no issues getting an alignment.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I use those tubular control arms and there is a bunch of members using them. You buy two right sides and just flip it to use on the left. They have nylon bushings that if you keep greased last years. I suggest you put 90 degree zerks pointing up on to make greasing them easier. The holes on the cross shaft are 1/2" so you should use 1/2" bolt instead of the smaller stock bolts. I have used the stock bolts and didn't seem to have any issues. We used those uppers on our thunder and super stock asphalt circle track cars and they are stronger than the stock upper control arm

awdblazer

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2013
i run em
no problems
i drive over a 1000km a year on them
grease them a couple times a year
was just about a wash between buying new control arms to buying moog bushings up here in canada

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor