Spindle differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Anyone know if all g body spindles are the same? I bought a new set of wheels and need lug nuts and would rather get metric studs in front to match the gn rear end.

Is it just a rotor and bearings from a newer car on there or is the spindle also different?

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
The spindles are all the same physically and will interchange. The 78-81 used standard thread studs and the larger A3 outer bearing. In 82, when the 3rd gen f body was introduced, as well as when the 2wd s10 p/u and blazers were introduced, the g body went with the smaller A34 outer bearing as well as metric studs so gm could use one rotor across the 3 car lines. The inside diameter of the A3 outer bearing that is on my 80 regal is the same as the A34 outer bearing that is on my 88 IROC. Hope that helps.

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
If your hub/rotor is still good, you can just replace the studs. Not hard at all. Bang them out with a hammer, install new stud, put on a few washers and tighten with an impact wrench. It's a little tough on the lug nuts, so buy a couple of grade 8 nuts in the proper pitch.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
darbysan said:
If your hub/rotor is still good, you can just replace the studs. Not hard at all. Bang them out with a hammer, install new stud, put on a few washers and tighten with an impact wrench. It's a little tough on the lug nuts, so buy a couple of grade 8 nuts in the proper pitch.

You can do this but you can't just buy the stock replacement metric studs because the knurl diameter is too far off what the sae studs used. So you will have to find a parts guy that is willing to find you new metric studs by size.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
jrm81bu said:
darbysan said:

You can do this but you can't just buy the stock replacement metric studs because the knurl diameter is too far off what the sae studs used. So you will have to find a parts guy that is willing to find you new metric studs by size.
How's this...Dorman 610-261 is the metric thread stud with a 14.35 mm knurl. Dorman 610-025 is the standard thread stud with a .564" knurl. Both these studs have the same knurl diameter.

The above metric stud is a tad longer but will work just fine. I am using it for my LS1 brake upgrade. The 610-262 is 5mm shorter at 37.5 if that works better.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
455'ed80Regal said:
jrm81bu said:
darbysan said:

How's this...Dorman 610-261 is the metric thread stud with a 14.35 mm knurl. Dorman 610-025 is the standard thread stud with a .564" knurl. Both these studs have the same knurl diameter.

The above metric stud is a tad longer but will work just fine. I am using it for my LS1 brake upgrade. The 610-262 is 5mm shorter at 37.5 if that works better.

That should help some people. I just didn't want them going and trying to buy replacement metric studs and getting pissed when they don't fit. I had already looked up the part number at work and grab some metric studs but just decided it was easier to throw new rotors and bearings on. I haven't touched the bearings since I bought the car so it was due anyway.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
455'ed80Regal said:
jrm81bu said:
darbysan said:

This was a huge help thank you very much. I thought I looked when I first installed the GN rear end and couldn't find a metric stud with the correct knurl size. Much easier than replacing my perfectly good bearings and rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor