Sport mirror disassembly questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Passenger side easily done. Driver side with cables is another story. Is there a way to take apart without breaking the mirror??? I can see a Philips screw inside but at an angle that makes it impossible to take out.
Things found in pass mirror... yikes 😬
20230122_120857.jpg
20230123_111940.jpg
20230123_111956.jpg
20230123_112004.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not that I’m aware of. Look here for a refresher of what I did.

Post #1,995.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Mine flop around too, I didn't know you could revitalize the innards. Donovan all I saw was you painting the mirrors?
Yep, I disassembled them to paint them, but I think if you go back a bit further (or maybe ahead, I can’t remember), I had done a little tweak to them to tighten up the floppyness too. I wish for the life of me I could remember what that was. Getting older is a bjtch.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Not that I’m aware of. Look here for a refresher of what I did.

Post #1,995.
Well well well. I had comments before and after your 1995 post but my all too foggy memory inhibited me again. I was afraid of this situation but I already had an idea like what you had done. Maybe that post was lingering in the cobwebs between the synapses of my brain 🧠 LOL.
Too avoid the issue of not being able to spray behind mirror i think I'll use a paint stick with holes to match posts and use that to firmly hold base so I can maneuver the glass. Spaced off the base so I can get under there as well.
Is it ok to blast the housing in cabinet with glass beads???

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well well well. I had comments before and after your 1995 post but my all too foggy memory inhibited me again. I was afraid of this situation but I already had an idea like what you had done. Maybe that post was lingering in the cobwebs between the synapses of my brain 🧠 LOL.
Too avoid the issue of not being able to spray behind mirror i think I'll use a paint stick with holes to match posts and use that to firmly hold base so I can maneuver the glass. Spaced off the base so I can get under there as well.
Is it ok to blast the housing in cabinet with glass beads???

Yes, absolutely. The housing and pedestal are just pot metal, so turn the air pressure down a little and don’t linger too long in one spot. And of course mask the actual mirror lens off really really well.

I think when I went back and repainted the mirrors, I used the joystick to move the lens around to get good coverage inside. See, I had already forgotten that the first attempt was less than spectacular.

• Informative
  • Winner

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Driver side is not floppy thankfully. And I've read that you need to loop cable over itself inside door to keep tension on cables. If that makes sense.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Yes, absolutely. The housing and pedestal are just pot metal, so turn the air pressure down a little and don’t linger too long in one spot. And of course mask the actual mirror lens off really really well.

I think when I went back and repainted the mirrors, I used the joystick to move the lens around to get hood coverage inside. See, I had already forgotten that the first attempt was less than spectacular.
Excellent. Great idea using the actual joy stick! I'm soaking in all the knowledge and trickery.

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
Sadly I ended up cutting my cable. I had to disassemble them to get them engraved and chromed and after several days of tinkering...said forget it and cut the cable. Then when reassembling it. Just set up the mirror how I wanted it and epoxied it in place against its backing. Sucks as it is not move able now, but car is rarely driven and hold up to the hydraulics...so meh...all good. Would love to learn how to actually disassemble and reassemble with the cable.
20180319_181239.jpg
20190511_111452.jpg

• Love

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Don't feel knocked up or out of place. Even the NOS mirrors in the box come with the entire assembly bolted together. I've never taken one apart, but there's got to be a way to do it. There's no possible way that I'm currently aware of to get the thing apart without busting the glass. Even then if you have to reach screws back there, you could carefully drill holes where needed on the plastic glass backing. The holes would be hidden by the new glass I would imagine.

FYI, they do make aftermarket mirror glass replacements if you break yours. A few dabs of urethane glass adhesive should do the trick. For non-wedge sport mirrors, Burco makes them under p/n 2135 (driver) and 33183 (pass.). They're USA made, btw. That's why I would go with them if an NOS restoration wasn't required. I say that because they etch their a tiny burco "b" and part number on the bottoms of them.

If you happen to run across GM glass, here's the part numbers you would need. Long discontinued, but when these things were all over ebay for $5-10 a pop, I would snarf them up when/where I could. Although I didn't even pay attention to the wedge glass. Should have, but didn't. RPO D35 - sport mirrors driver remote, pass. manual. RPO D8- sport mirrors driver AND passenger remote. Glass fits either type. They don't fit any of the chrome factory mirrors.

For non-wedge style mirrors (RPO D35, D68):

9606230 for driver side
20210902 for passenger side (convex)

For the Corvette, F-body, and 86-88 Monte Sport wedge mirrors (RPO D35, D68):

20318502 for driver side
20289778 for passenger side (convex)

Unsurprisingly, you can still dig up a few GM wedge mirror glasses.

• Winner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor