Spray gun for interior trim pieces ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

houston_t

Greasemonkey
Nov 15, 2016
Metro Detroit
Thinking about purchasing a pint of interior trim paint from Dixie Restoration I figured this would get me further than 2 spray cans ( let me know if I’m wrong ) I have painted interior pieces with Sem spray paint a few times before so I know the process. Just wondering what spray gun and size tip would be best to use since I have only used cans before ? I have a 60 gallon compressor so I’m covered on that end just don’t own a spray gun, or would it just be simpler to go with the spray cans. For what I need to do 2 spray cans should be sufficient but 2 cans cost the same as a pint.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Two cans = 1 pint as far as cost? So that's a wash. Now consider how many jobs you're going to do with this new gun in the future. Add the cost of the gun, any hose, water separator, etc., and then gun cleaning equipment, and see if it makes financial sense. You may find other uses for the gun, so figure that in.

If you're respraying stuff on a regular basis, I'd say go with it, but if you do this once in a blue moon, just get the cans, and then buy a six pack of beer with some of the money saved on the gun equipment. Enjoy the beer while admiring your paint can work. 5 years from now, nobody's going to care whether you used a spray gun or not on that job. Just something to consider.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Thinking about purchasing a pint of interior trim paint from Dixie Restoration I figured this would get me further than 2 spray cans ( let me know if I’m wrong ) I have painted interior pieces with Sem spray paint a few times before so I know the process. Just wondering what spray gun and size tip would be best to use since I have only used cans before ? I have a 60 gallon compressor so I’m covered on that end just don’t own a spray gun, or would it just be simpler to go with the spray cans. For what I need to do 2 spray cans should be sufficient but 2 cans cost the same as a pint.
I'm not that good with a paint gun, very out of practice, but much better trying to paint out of a can.

With a can it's already properly thinned, you don't worry about feed rate, there no moisture in the air lines to worry about, you can work with it 24/7 without worrying about noise. It's fairly uniform from time to time, so on so forth, and, the PPE you'd use is a lot less. Also including less mess and cleanup involved

Nothing wrong with learning and practice though. I plan to buy some of those mis-tint cans at a swap meet to just practice on some junk parts and get better with technique and pattern, coverage. Even then I'd likely let a pro handle the important stuff on a big scale.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Sometimes it's easier to use a Preval sprayer.
images

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Donagain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 3, 2017
I am the king of buying equipment and using it once . I did my LeMans interior trim with Tremclad Wild Raspberry in a spray can . The color match is bang on . It was quick and easy and no issues with quality . I know I didn't answer your original question but the Tremclad worked like a charm .

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Have you looked into a inexpensive touch up gun from Harbor Freight or a local Home Depot or Lowes?
May sound funny but I've sprayed interior panels including a full dash with a no name siphon touch up gun similar to a Husky H4910DGS that I picked up at Carlisle over 40 years ago. This gun has payed for it self 10 times over and gives great results with interior parts, wheels and even panel touch ups.
Just a suggestion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
A cheap (but still decent) Harbour Fright HVLP gun in the 1.3 to 1.4 tip range is what you will need if you choose to go the spray gun route. Cost for cost a pint of product will go a helluva lot further than 2 spray cans.
I know which way I’d go, just saying.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

houston_t

Greasemonkey
Nov 15, 2016
Metro Detroit
Sometimes it's easier to use a Preval sprayer.
images
I have seen those at painters supply and never thought of that. I did some more reading on Dixie’s web site and just realized it said the pint is a custom mixed color and the spray can is not but it’s close to the factory color. I have the lower door panels with the speaker cutouts and had them spray ‘‘em to match my interior, it’s not spot on but very close. Anyway I think I will call them up and see if they used spray cans or the paint out the pint on my pieces and use the same product as them to keep it consistent

houston_t

Greasemonkey
Nov 15, 2016
Metro Detroit
Have you looked into a inexpensive touch up gun from Harbor Freight or a local Home Depot or Lowes?
May sound funny but I've sprayed interior panels including a full dash with a no name siphon touch up gun similar to a Husky H4910DGS that I picked up at Carlisle over 40 years ago. This gun has payed for it self 10 times over and gives great results with interior parts, wheels and even panel touch ups.
Just a suggestion.
Yea I def planed on buying something from harbor freight if I did.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I did some more reading on Dixie’s web site and just realized it said the pint is a custom mixed color and the spray can is not but it’s close to the factory color.
You have to keep in mind due to many factors like sun fad, age, different dye lots, color match will never be 100%. Even when new not everything was a 100% match. I've got some dark maple off them years back & it was a good match.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor