Spring height and rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Larry

Apprentice
Nov 7, 2011
Back story
I have been working on the suspension on my car since I have a bit more motor. Before I did anything the car rode like a POS with tons of body roll and was very unstable above 60 mph. Not to mention it rattled, squeaked!

Like I said above, I started with a good power plant (Built 408 sbc) and refused to drive this car until I worked on the suspension. This is what drove me to actually do the suspension. I started with the poly body mounts. Car rattled less, and stiffened up but still unstable at high speeds. I needed a posi, so i put that along with 3.23 gears for highway and a stock rear sway bar off of another gbody. Still rode like a boat. I put all new shocks and checked suspension. Still rides like a boat and unstable.

I came to the conclusion that my springs are shot. Everything I replaced needed to be done but was not the main problem.

Here is where I need some guidance
I want my car to have the same stance that it has now, but I want it to be stiffer. What spring do I get to achieve my current ride height?
When I got this car it already had this stance so I have no idea what has been done to lower it but with the soft suspension I am assuming a torch was used lol.
I dont know how low I am compared to stock! Any help is greatly appreciated!! If more pics are needed let me know and I will take them. Here are a few of the current Ride Height and the way the tire sits under the quarter and fender.

IMG_1331_900.jpg

IMG_3782_900.jpg

IMG_3776_900.jpg

IMG_1322_900.jpg

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 user

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Nice Hot Rod!

Looks like two inches lower than stock to me but it's hard to say not knowing the front and rear tire sizes. The sidewall aspect ratio can make the stance deceiving. You're right, the current stance, in my opinion, is just right. I personally like a little wider tire in the front but the drag racing crowd likes the smaller front runners. Curious if the rear lips are rolled and if not, how much clearance you have between the fender lip and the tire. The tire will grow a little at high speed, that's why I ask. Do you know what your rear back space on the wheel is? Curious also on the rear tire size. Looks like it fills the hole nicely.

Like I said, wicked looking hot rod dude.

Scott, ... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: 8)

Mr.Larry

Apprentice
Nov 7, 2011
Thanks, Ill find out the backspacing on the rear wheels. I have to ask my pops, he ordered the wheels.
The wheel tire combo = Weld Pro Stars - 205/75R15 Front and 295/50R15 Rear - 5's in front and 8's in rear. The frame is notched in the rear and the lip has been removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor