Spring Loaded Power Window Regulator Refit

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBody.co.uk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 25, 2019
UK
I‘m in the process of refitting the passenger side power window regulator on my ’82 Cutlass. The regulator mounting is spring loaded and needs to be rotated about 270 degrees anti-clockwise to line up with four mounting holes on the door frame. The problem is, the mounting is spring loaded with so much tension it’s virtually impossible to force it much past 180 degrees (… and yes, it did nearly slice my fingers off when I removed it!)

My question is, how do I do I safely re-tension the spring loaded mounting and line it up with the mounting holes without losing a finger if it slips? Would the window motor have enough power to lift the window if I remove the spring?

(Just in case you were wondering why I loosened the regulator in the first place, it was to remove and check the power window motor – the motor is mounted on to the regulator with three bolts but GM only made one access hole to one of the bolts! I have since found out that I could have cut two access holes in the door frame to get at the hidden remaining two bolts – it turns out GM were helpful enough to punch two dimples in the door frame to show you where to cut… but that’s a little late now!)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Since you are in the UK is your passenger window on the right or left side of the car.....:)

does the new regualtor match the old one?

GBody.co.uk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 25, 2019
UK
My Cutlass is a native of your country, built at the Sainte-Thérèse plant so the passenger side is on the right. I’m refitting the original regulator.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm not sure of the problem you are describing, do you have any pictures of the regulator

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I didn't think power regulators were spring loaded.

GBody.co.uk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 25, 2019
UK
I didn't think power regulators were spring loaded.
I didn't think they were supposed to be spring loaded either - I wonder if the previous owner converted them from manual to powered?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
E-bodies (Toro) have counter-balance spring right in the middle of the axis where the motor turns gear and then the regulator spins on the axis that the coiled tension spring is located. The purpose is to somewhat hold the weight of the glass to minimize the load on the cheesy assed motor that GM engineers decided would be a good idea to use. You shouldn't have that spring in a G-body.

Reason for this is that I have some NOS power window regulators still in the GM vacuum sealed bags. And if they had a spring in them, they'd be all expanded. 20123184 for RH and 20123185 for LH for the power window regulator part numbers in case you run into some.

Manual regulators are completely different than the power ones. So either it's a regulator not designed for the G-body but somehow fit or was made to fit it. Also, early versions of the regulator had a place for a windup spring in it. Maybe someone put one in? Later versions just had a flattened center axis pin so you couldn't put a spring on it if you wanted to.

There's a certain procedure on removing a spring loaded regulator. You first need to drill a hole in the backing plate and the regulator gear sector plate and insert a bolt or pin in it to keep the spring from unwinding when you remove the motor. Not doing so can cause a sudden release of tension. Dangerous situation if you ask me.

But your G-body shouldn't have this spring. Perplexing. Someone's been jacking with stuff it appears. Your stuff should look pretty much like this (out of a GN, but they interchange- all G-body coupes do as far as regulators):

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=192858059795

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

GBody.co.uk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 25, 2019
UK
E-bodies (Toro) have counter-balance spring right in the middle of the axis where the motor turns gear and then the regulator spins on the axis that the coiled tension spring is located. The purpose is to somewhat hold the weight of the glass to minimize the load on the cheesy assed motor that GM engineers decided would be a good idea to use. You shouldn't have that spring in a G-body.

Reason for this is that I have some NOS power window regulators still in the GM vacuum sealed bags. And if they had a spring in them, they'd be all expanded. 20123184 for RH and 20123185 for LH for the power window regulator part numbers in case you run into some.

Manual regulators are completely different than the power ones. So either it's a regulator not designed for the G-body but somehow fit or was made to fit it. Also, early versions of the regulator had a place for a windup spring in it. Maybe someone put one in? Later versions just had a flattened center axis pin so you couldn't put a spring on it if you wanted to.

There's a certain procedure on removing a spring loaded regulator. You first need to drill a hole in the backing plate and the regulator gear sector plate and insert a bolt or pin in it to keep the spring from unwinding when you remove the motor. Not doing so can cause a sudden release of tension. Dangerous situation if you ask me.

But your G-body shouldn't have this spring. Perplexing. Someone's been jacking with stuff it appears. Your stuff should look pretty much like this (out of a GN, but they interchange- all G-body coupes do as far as regulators):

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=192858059795
You're right to point out how dangerous removing these spring loaded regulators can be. I loosened the regulator just enough to get to the bolts holding the motor and the whole thing recoiled and damn near took my fingers off. I had a feeling my regulators weren't stock - that explains why I couldn't find any YouTube clips that were quite like mine. Also, there are no rivets on mine - it's all bolted on.

GBody.co.uk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 25, 2019
UK
Possible in the past your Cutlass was a hand crank window car?
I expect so. I think I try removing the spring, refit and see if it still works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor